Case prep

User00003

Ok, so my local didn't have any deburr/chamfer tools nor large primer pocket cleaners in stock this weekend....what can I use in the meantime that's likely to be kicking around the home/shed/tool box?

Checked bushwear, they sell both, but damn work-place firewall won't allow me to access the payment site...:banghead: oh, how expensive is the RCBS deburr/chamfer tool!!! £25 ish inc. shipping!!!

..primer flash-hole uniformer...really necessary,,,or 'whenever' I come across one?

The new RCBS tool is crap....................... I mislaid mine so went to buy a new one. Took one look at the poorly finished made in China or India one offered and said no thnks. Came home turned the place upside down to fine the original. The original RCBS one I have was made my Wilson:-

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/24071/catid/3

That's like the RCBS marked one that I brought many years ago now. The Lee primer pocket cleaner is simple and cheap.. I have never bothered with uniforming primer pockets.

what can I use in the meantime that's likely to be kicking around the home/shed/tool box?

Checked bushwear, they sell both, but damn work-place firewall won't allow me to access the payment site...:banghead: oh, how expensive is the RCBS deburr/chamfer tool!!! £25 ish inc. shipping!!!

..primer flash-hole uniformer...really necessary,,,or 'whenever' I come across one?
I sharpened up a countersink for chamferring the inside edge. I hold a case in one hand, the countersink in the other. Cuts nicer and quicker than the Lee one. I use a piece of 320 grit on the bench for the outside edge - a few quick rolls and it's good.
I made a primer pockect cleaner by turning down the head of a 4" nail (good old drill + grinder combo) then ground two flats so it looked a bit like a very fat screwdriver. I wittled a handle out of some boxwood I have lying around... The nail head is a loose fit in the primer pocket - you don't want to take any meat off the outside. It cleans the spent primer powder nicely, it's a comfortable to use and at least as effective as the lee one.

Back