Notifiable diseases

Boghossian

Hi guys
Can you give me a definitive list of these please? I was under the impression these were i) bTB, ii) Anthrax, iii) Foot & Mouth, and iv) Bluetongue.

A look at the online best practice guidelines shows no mention of anthrax but does include EHD (Epizootic Haemorrhagic Disease) and CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease). Another resource mentions rabies etc...

Would be good to get confirmation of the definitive short list required for deer stalkers to be aware of.

Thanks!

Indeed - these guidelines don't mention Anthrax (or warbles...) which confused me somewhat. Just prepping for my call with the DSC2 assessor so the 'last word' on this would be v much appreciated!

Indeed - these guidelines don't mention Anthrax (or warbles...) which confused me somewhat. Just prepping for my call with the DSC2 assessor so the 'last word' on this would be v much appreciated!
Realistically you are not going to find Anthrax in a deer you have shot. It is a cause of sudden death. Occasional animals have been found with it living, but even some old vets who claim to have seen it have never saved a case! The disease process is rapid with high temperature, recumbancy and death in a few hours. So long as you don't eat or gut anything you find dead you'll be ok! It's not something you would find on routine carcass inspection!

You could find warble fly!

Apache- I agree that you are extremly unlikely to see Anthrax in a deer you have shot but to be aware of the disease is desirable. I maybe older than you but in cattle at anyrate the disease in a sub-acute form does not always kill. The affected animal looks like a pneumonia case and can recover. Treatment is simple penicillin. David

Apache- I agree that you are extremly unlikely to see Anthrax in a deer you have shot but to be aware of the disease is desirable. I maybe older than you but in cattle at anyrate the disease in a sub-acute form does not always kill. The affected animal looks like a pneumonia case and can recover. Treatment is simple penicillin. David
I should imagine as Apache is a vet he would be aware of any condition found in deer David

I think if I come across a deer that was suspect of Anthrax i would not go anywhere near it and if i had been within 10 yds of it I would seek medical help quickly

A recent case last year of A guy who made drums (Musical instruments) from hide who lived in Cumbria I think contracted it and died very very quickly

Last edited:
A recent case last year of A guy who made drums (Musical instruments) from hide who lived in Cumbria I think contracted it and died very very quickly

Stu

Was it this one: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/south_of_scotland/7140943.stm

If so, it's stories like this that one (and this one: http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/...hazard-drum-circle-spreads-rhythm-and-anthrax) that helped to convince me that Folk music should carry a health warning ;)

willie_gunn

Stu- The lad who died was in my class at school. He lived just outside Hawick in Roxburghshire. He made as well as played numerous intruments and contracted the disease from imported hides. A pre-existing condition made him especially suseptible.

Apache is however wrong in stating that no animals are saved when they contract Anthrax. He is not the only Vet on this site and I never referred to deer in my reply. David

Where does it say only England & Wales but not Scotland?
You may be correct of course as I am not sure but cant find the excemption
Stu

Stu

I'll try to find the reference, but this is what we were told on a recent BDS Deer Manager's Course and it appears as such in the course manual. Looking back over past threads on this subject, however, this may not be the case:

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?4877-Warbles-in-Red-Deer-Yearling-Hind

willie_gunn

Stu

I'll try to find the reference, but this is what we were told on a recent BDS Deer Manager's Course and it appears as such in the course manual. Looking back over past threads on this subject, however, this may not be the case:

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?4877-Warbles-in-Red-Deer-Yearling-Hind

willie_gunn

My interpretation of it irrespective of what BDS say is that it is a notifiable as DEFRA has it listed .
I would appreciate it if you could dig out any reference to substantiate what you say to the contrary.
That its not notifiable in Scotland, Nothing in the link suggests otherwise other than the question was raised but it appears than no definitive answer from any source was given.
I suggest that in the meantime if warblefly is encountered its reported at least then no one is going to get in the preverbial.

Thanks
Stu

Sorry, I maybe explained myself badly!

I said:
but even some old vets who claim to have seen it have never saved a case

By that I mean of the few old vets who I personally have talked to who have seen anthrax, none of those particular vets have saved a case. Not that a case has never been saved, ever!

Back