Forestry cuts

widows son

Forestry Commission to axe 400 jobs

N0515961296663380233A.jpg

2 February 2011 04:24pm At least 400 jobs are to be cut at the Forestry Commission in England and Scotland.
Around 300 roles will be lost in England and between 100 and 150 will go at the organisation's corporate offices in Edinburgh over the next four years.
The losses come as a result of cuts to the commission's budget of 26% between now and 2015 and staff were told in a series of meetings, said a Forestry Commission spokesman.
He said: "We are talking around 300 posts in England and there will be at least 100 at the Great Britain office, based in Edinburgh. This could rise to 150 depending on the outcome of the changes in England.
"This is a consequence of the spending cuts announced by the Government in the Comprehensive Spending Review, which is 26% over a four-year period."
The spokesman said the organisation expected the job losses to include a mixture of voluntary redundancies and retirements but did not rule out compulsory redundancies.
Public and Commercial Services union general secretary Mark Serwotka said: "These job cuts will decimate the Forestry Commission, where many staff have spent their entire careers, even before the impact of the proposed sell-off, lease and give-away of the public forest estate.
"For many there is no prospect of picking up other work because the economy is in such a poor state and suffering from the cuts in public services. The private sector jobs that the coalition spoke about have not materialised.
"These job losses will hit industries and services allied to forestry, have a severe impact on small communities and affect tourism and other services to the 40 million visitors a year to the forests.
"The only way to protect staff and avoid the wider impact on jobs and economies from the attack on the forests is to have a properly-resourced Forestry Commission to directly own and run the public forest estate."
© The Press Association

Real world

Welcome to the reality of the modern public sector world.:eek:

If the economy doesn't grow significantly in the next 3 years they(the government) will have to take another major slice out of the public sector purse.

Those that stand in the corner shouting the odds and call for fair and transparent lease bidding processes when things are as clear and as transparent as they can possibley be. Are just pishing into the wind with stuff like this hang over the FC for the next 4 years and beyound. There are and will be far more pressing demands that will have to be addressed than those disgruntaled clamourings of a malcontent.

This is the effect of a top heavey organisation that has flittered away public resorces year after year. Helicoptor rides over scotland for all its staff at our expence. Greed and extreemly bad orgnisation of funds and the biggest problem is there inabuility to change. Millions to control deer at one end and leases that the public find disgustingly high at the other. A buisness dinossaur that will now need to have an inward look at how it can change.This should have been done years ago and they would not have been faceing such a hard time.;)

Country is in a bad state full stop ,their thousand loosing there jobs , not just in the public sector but all over. It wont be easy for them to find another job either as the jobs arnt there anymore ,if they were lucky to find a job it would be at the lower end of the salary market,The government claim a few months ago that we had turned a corner and heading out of recession ,I never saw the turn I dont know about you lot but if things go worse it will turn from a recession into a depression like this country hasnt seen since the 30s.god forbid.

Our problems is there to many people in the past employed in the public sector who shuffled paper about the only time this nation prospered was when we manufactured and produced and sold to the rest of the world were there needed our goods and tech. now we are a country that relies on others to supply us, we started this long road of decline some 30 years ago on top of that we have a saturated populance that we cant feed without reliance on others, unless we alter our ways and become more self reliant in our needs the situation can only get worse.

Country is in a bad state full stop ,their thousand loosing there jobs , not just in the public sector but all over. It wont be easy for them to find another job either as the jobs arnt there anymore ,if they were lucky to find a job it would be at the lower end of the salary market,The government claim a few months ago that we had turned a corner and heading out of recession ,I never saw the turn I dont know about you lot but if things go worse it will turn from a recession into a depression like this country hasnt seen since the 30s.god forbid.
Our problems is there to many people in the past employed in the public sector who shuffled paper about the only time this nation prospered was when we manufactured and produced and sold to the rest of the world were there needed our goods and tech. now we are a country that relies on others to supply us, we started this long road of decline some 30 years ago on top of that we have a saturated populance that we cant feed without reliance on others, unless we alter our ways and become more self reliant in our needs the situation can only get worse.
stu i think you are correct but its peoples greed that made it so by buying cheaper products from abroad and now we cant manufacture or products to the same costs .we are a company that build and sell vehicle lifts and also fabricate other products but people would rather spend a few hundred pounds on a chinese lift that breaks in the first week and get it fixed than buy a quality product that costs abit more its the same with most products its peoples attitudes towards buying that needs to change

stu i think you are correct but its peoples greed that made it so by buying cheaper products from abroad and now we cant manufacture or products to the same costs .we are a company that build and sell vehicle lifts and also fabricate other products but people would rather spend a few hundred pounds on a chinese lift that breaks in the first week and get it fixed than buy a quality product that costs abit more its the same with most products its peoples attitudes towards buying that needs to change

A very simple cure to it all .
Ban all cheap imports but Governments are shite scared of applying the iron fist as they know they will do the same so we are in a catch 22 situation we have created our own whip

We need to create a commodity that no other country can, more developement and research by our engineers in alternative methods of saving and creating cheaper energy that saves industry as well as domestic usuage would be a way forward something that our engineers are working on at the moment it would be a product that globaly all countries would need.

Last edited:
Ban all cheap imports but Governments are shite scared of applying the iron fist as they know they will do the same so we are in a catch 22 situation we have created our own whip

We need to create a commodity that no other country can, more developement and research by our engineers in alternative methods of saving and creating cheaper energy that saves industry as well as domestic usuage would be a way forward something that our engineers are working on at the moment it would be a product that globaly all countries would need.

There is indeed very simple cure. Its called free market economy. And it is the only cure as any other dont and cant work.

There is indeed very simple cure. Its called free market economy. And it is the only cure as any other dont and cant work.

Maybe then to compete in a free economy we should all live and survive on a bowl of rice a day like the others are doing then we can compete.

If half the redundancies are too be Edinburgh jobs they are largely admin. jobs. That should make a leaner more localised effective service and sounds a step in right direction.
Field workers will have too tender as contractors rather than "paye" in house employees; but the work will still be done by someone probably more cost effectively.
However......The Lib/con coalition will founder within the year cos they try too run before they learnt too crawl let alone walk!!

Maybe then to compete in a free economy we should all live and survive on a bowl of rice a day like the others are doing then we can compete.

Are you suggesting that Americans do this in order to be significantly more productive than we are. If you have all of the holidays that we do and all of the employee and health and safety legislation you will not be competative on a global basis.

As an academic in engineering involved in research and teaching I couldnt agree more stu, however the government in its short-sighted-ness are cutting research funding while at the same time increasing costs to the student. We have a commodity and that is our higher education system it does however require alot more support.

They are winning competition as they dont have high taxes, unemployment benefits, "free" education, nhs and couple of other things any individual can get without government intervention, not because they only eat one bowl of rice a day.

Stu

Regardless of how much the spin they pumped out this world recession has bitten ever deeper. We are on the brink of a global depression. Unfortunately in order to drag the developed world back from the brink we are going to have to sacrifice some of those long bankrupt and corrupt third world economies and we are going to have to cut off such luxuries as humanitarian and fiscal aid.

As an academic in engineering involved in research and teaching I couldnt agree more stu, however the government in its short-sighted-ness are cutting research funding while at the same time increasing costs to the student. We have a commodity and that is our higher education system it does however require alot more support.

Andi

Education especially higher education is not a right, it is an opportunity that has to be earned and an opportunity that should be paid for. Unfortunately to many simply view higher education as a means of delaying having to go out and earn a living wage. I'm all in favour of research, but research should be sponsored by those multi nationals that will directly benefit from it not by the state.

They are winning competition as they dont have high taxes, unemployment benefits, "free" education, nhs and couple of other things any individual can get without government intervention, not because they only eat one bowl of rice a day.

I apologise I was being somewhat facetious in my comment I wasnt inferring free competition with Like for like countries who equalize our standard of living.
I was actually directing my comments in respect to sub contenental countries who in the past have produced sub standard commodities, like China and Korea etc, who now produce goods that we seem to favour those people work for a considerable lot less than we do and as others have said on here not only do we not compete financially its a ferking impossibility to do so

Lets face iot even some of our major companies are setting up factories over there employing cheap labour and exporting back to our country because it pays to do so, so untill the free trade is blocked and become more on parr with our economy then we are going to import their goods in the meantime we are suffercating in the global market because we as the british people have always done played the fair game by not playing it Old boy its Not Cricket what what.

Its a long way from Roberts post but relative to whats Happened and why its all happening in this Country

Last edited:
I wonder what clearfelled ex-FC land would go for per acre in Scotland...if cheap it might be a good opportunity to buy some acreage and do some planting of my own - ie. design my own shooting grounds from scratch...hhhmmm....may also need some serious bulldozers to level the roots, stumps, etc.....

Andi

Education especially higher education is not a right, it is an opportunity that has to be earned and an opportunity that should be paid for. Unfortunately to many simply view higher education as a means of delaying having to go out and earn a living wage. I'm all in favour of research, but research should be sponsored by those multi nationals that will directly benefit from it not by the state.

+1

Andi

I think maybe the definition of 'higher education' has been misconstrued, I refer to those core subjects that benefit society as a whole, science, technology engineering and mathematics plus a few others and dont include the mickey mouse courses that are everywhere. Yes I agree that people shouldnt be able to go to university to put off real life, however if we sorted out the quality of degree's on offer and stuck to the more classical subjects that have relavence to real jobs in the real world then believe me, the average person who uses it to put off real life, wouldnt cut the mustard academically in the first place. For clarification research that directly benefits multi nationals is funded by them, public funded research has to remain exactly that meaning that no one gains a competitive advantage.

Back