Quickload Expert Required.

robbobsam

Hiya Guys,

I have just got hold of quickload and have been playing with the data. I have a load I am really happy with for my .243 but would like an alternative in case varget becomes sparse again. I have been looking at IMR4350 and would like the opinion of one of our resident quickload experts on this powder used in conjunction with 80 grain berger bullets. The only complaint I have with Varget if anything is that it is a little slow on velocity.

What do you think of IMR4350 as a varget replacement ????

I wonder what people did before Quick Load? :p Actually, it's funny your post was waiting for me this morning when I logged on. My brother and I were talking about powders for his wife's 243 and I told him that gun writer Ken Waters used to love 4350 with 75 and 80 grain bullets using somewhere around 45 grains for 3100 fps. They were some of his most accurate loads and were so in my Model 70 Winchester. It's nice too as I have lots of 4350 and it works so well in a variety of cartridges.

That's my take on the subject. Not Quick Load but... ~Muir

What do you think of IMR4350 as a varget replacement ????
I prefer 4350 over Varget regardless of what QL says Varget's 'performance' is. My experience with Varget is not as 'positive' as almost everything I have read about it. Most significant, is that it is NOT as temperature 'insensitive' as claimed. I had high hopes for Varget when it first came out and based on it's "press". Now I have half a pound 'wasting away' on the shelf that will only get used for fire-forming. 4350 is an excellent powder for ANY .308 Win-based cartridge, and many others as well.

Regards,
Paul

I prefer 4350 over Varget regardless of what QL says Varget's 'performance' is. My experience with Varget is not as 'positive' as almost everything I have read about it. Most significant, is that it is NOT as temperature 'insensitive' as claimed. I had high hopes for Varget when it first came out and based on it's "press". Now I have half a pound 'wasting away' on the shelf that will only get used for fire-forming. 4350 is an excellent powder for ANY .308 Win-based cartridge, and many others as well.

Regards,
Paul

And a hearty AMEN to that, Brother Paul.~Muir

Back