Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ghillie Suits

Ghillie Suits

Do many members of the SD own or use a Ghlillie suit? The reason I ask is because a couple of years ago I invested many hours making one and with good results too. I wore it out a few times during July/August in an attempt to get close to the Roe rut. I was lucky on several outings and will never forget my expriences.
    What is the general opinion of these 3D suits?? Are they a bit over the top? and could you actually give somebody a heart attack if they were to suddenly see you? My wife used to say to me "You're either gonna frighten someone to death or get yourself arrested if you get caught wearing that" Like I was stalking people or something!!??

So, are they worth it or just a hassle?

All the best

I have enough trouble getting my moleskins snagged on wire and brambles without having loose bits of hessian (or the modern equivalent) hanging off me. I do wear a face veil sometimes, which works well, but even that causes the odd raised eyebrow. Maybe a ghillie suit is a bit more useful if you're ambushing rabbits at close range with an air rifle?

Oh dear..... why not just dress up as a big rabbit?

Good point - well made, it would probably be a lot cheaper! I wouldn't wear one myself (ghillie suit, that is), but someone must buy them...I'm just not sure who....
    Last edited by Moonraker68; 03-02-2011 at 22:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker68 View Post
    Good point - well made, it would probably be a lot cheaper! I wouldn't wear one myself (ghillie suit rather than a rabbit costume), but someone must buy them......................?
    Japanese snipers on Tarawa?

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Japanese snipers on Tarawa?
    That must be it - poor sod's can't have realised that WWII is over.
    Last edited by Moonraker68; 03-02-2011 at 22:17.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Nairn, Inverness-shire
    I could only see the attraction if I was static for a day, that aint going to happen, you can not move without letting the world know about it. if you were stalking in force 10 winds, you might get away with it. As has been said, you can't cross an obsticle in it, they are not designed for movement. If you need to be static for a period of time, get a popup hide or place a highseat and be comfy.

Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Red Dot:- If he dressed up like a big rabbit would you call him Buck?

Quote Originally Posted by callie View Post
    Red Dot:- If he dressed up like a big rabbit would you call him Buck?
    Or maybe....... Stew
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Head & shoulder Ghillie, with just enough to cover the larger part of the rifle & scope, & any other bits & bobs, bino's etc, only when in an awkward situation when after a troublesome chicken chomper.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!