Best practice- producing quality venison workshop- mull and islay

Mike Cottam

SNH are running WDBP Workshops on Producing Quality Venison on Mull and Islay.

Mull: 20 February
Islay: 21 February (evening); 22 February (main event)

Please see attachment for booking form and details.

Events are foc and open to all (we need bookings to manage facilities and catering).

Get in touch if any difficulties.

Regards

Mike Cottam
WDBP Officer
SNH
mike.cottam@snh.gov.uk
01463 725373 direct

Attachments

• WDBP VENISON Workshops Booking Form Ind(2).doc
    366.5 KB · Views: 22
Mike while i think its a great idea to bring into the spotlight that Deer will produce quality Venison will there be any work shops on the main land that people can get to. I just feel that for some Islay and Mull are just not that accessable .

Mull looks like a good day but with it being a Sunday you can't get onto the island until 1046 with the course starting at 1000. It makes it an expensive course if you have to include an overnight stay.

I realise Mull and Islay are somewhat inaccessible, but we also need to service the Islands.

Mainland not forgotten. SNH is currently involved in bidding for public money for FY beginning April. If Scottish Government decides to allow funds there will be workshops and a WDBP Demo Event through the year.

I will keep everyone informed.

Thanks for the support and interest in WDBP.

Regards

Mike

I realise Mull and Islay are somewhat inaccessible, but we also need to service the Islands.

Mainland not forgotten. SNH is currently involved in bidding for public money for FY beginning April. If Scottish Government decides to allow funds there will be workshops and a WDBP Demo Event through the year.

I will keep everyone informed.

Thanks for the support and interest in WDBP.

Regards

Mike

If we were to make it over on the first ferry would we miss much and would late registration be allowed?

It might be beter to aim this one at the ones that live on the islands IMO it is a none starter for most people on the mainland. I hope it dose what the governemt wants from the BP team and reaches as many people as possible .But this one might be the biggest waiste of Public funds yet. :eek: Highlands and Islands shut down on sundays need i say more.

Mull may seem a silly choice but there unless you are aquaint with Mull yo do not realise how big it actually is. Dependent on location it will be easily accessed from Ardnamurchan as well on the Lochaline Ferry That puts it in perspective for a lot of stalkers. From the title it seems to be aimed at the estate rather than the recreational stalker,
Jim

Your are probably right Jim but i woud have certainl liked the chance to go but a round trip of 10 HOURS is just a little to far with a BB thrown in for good measure. I have asked Mike if there will be anything similar closer to home planned but i imagaine with cuts we in the central belt area will need to like it or lump it.;)

Mull may seem a silly choice but there unless you are aquaint with Mull yo do not realise how big it actually is. Dependent on location it will be easily accessed from Ardnamurchan as well on the Lochaline Ferry That puts it in perspective for a lot of stalkers. From the title it seems to be aimed at the estate rather than the recreational stalker,
Jim

I stay around a minutes walk from the ferry terminal in Oban so Craignure would have been quite handy for me. I just think 10am start, when the ferry arrives at the door of the hotel at 1046 is a bit of an oversight.

There we go again it's too far away .

Well don't go then simple . Moam moan moan there's no pleasing some .

I remember looking at the name tags left on the table for those that did not turn up for the best practice days in Dumfries

I've been to best practice days all over Scotland predominately in the North of Scotland with a couple of over night stays .

With a load of moan moan moan there was a best practice day in Glasgow which was only a educational over look of peri urban deer management not the real deal.

With the real deal best practice days, you have got to travel if you are half interest in education in current practices throughout the deer stalking world in Scotland, if you have a genuine interest,in your pastime traveling won't be a hurdle you look at every time a best practice day comes up, that's not on your door step .

Last edited:
Well bob your right there you need! to travel now that is a disgusting statment when 80% of the population live in the central belt and they are still waiting for there first best practice day. Now come on mike get a grip lets get it were its needed i know you moved here Blackburn for the deerstalking and i dont blame you. We know you moved up to the north of scotland for that all important cudos regards deer and the highland estates . But there is more to scotland than hills haggis and bag :lol: pipes . :dummy:

Last edited:
Davie get your birth certificate out have a look at it then get the atlas out .lol

Last edited:
Bob i do know were i am from and i do know were my taxes go but what happens to them after that is a mistery. But if mike and his team want to get support from the government in my opinion they should make the BP days available to as many people as possible. To have them all in the middle of nowhere were only the very wealthy or the ones that get paid to go can get there with out feeling the finacial hurt is just out of order. I know the commited will go Bob but are we not trying to encourage people in to the sport passtime career of deer stalking and promote its qualitys. Well why preach to the converted we already know its a great passion.;)

PS Its only an opinion

Bob i do know were i am from and i do know were my taxes go but what happens to them after that is a mistery. But if mike and his team want to get support from the government in my opinion they should make the BP days available to as many people as possible. To have them all in the middle of nowhere were only the very wealthy or the ones that get paid to go can get there with out feeling the finacial hurt is just out of order. I know the commited will go Bob but are we not trying to encourage people in to the sport passtime career of deer stalking and promote its qualitys. Well why preach to the converted we already know its a great passion.;)

PS Its only an opinion

Granted Davie public money ,it is yours mine and even those that don't shoot, it is a large public purse which isn't used wisely in some cases IE methadone drug addicts, I don't think I need go on there some how,just how much money is wasted in your own area alone ,empty factories, money being put out to companies other factories being built for there purpose the older ones still laying empty ,now that is wasting public funds where's the shouting about that .

The best practice days are held geographically throughout Scotland ,as you know mainly a red deer subject reason they are in the out laying areas that hold mass amounts of red deer .

Due to your interjection IE( ****ed them off big time )with the Deer Commission through Jamie Hammond and Alistair McGugain. They held a excellent peri urban deer management work shop bringing the roe deer side of Scotland's deer to the fore for those within the Glasgow lanarkshire area .

In the middle of no where , are always very well subscribed to,extremely well fact being that they are full ,which tell us all, there is a huge interest in the subjects being spoken about on the day ,the areas have interest to the subjects being deer forests " estates" which may have a large turn over of population of deer , habitat assessment etc which can all be specific to the best practice within those areas .

Education is the root to successful and sustained deer management no matter it's geographical location we all have to learn even those on the islands ,that's not opinion that's fact .

Last edited:
6pointer
Lets see are you sugesting that those of us who are fortunate enough to live on one of the Scottish islands should be penalised for doing so. I live on Mull and put a fairly large amount of venison into the food chain and am delighted that such an event is being hosted here.I am sure that 80% of the population live in the central belt[and good luck to them] but I can assure you that 80% of the venison produced in Scotland is not produced in the central belt.
You should count yourself fortunate that travel to such an event is an occasional consideration for you and not one that has to be taken on a daily basis by those who live on the islands .That said I'd rather be in my shoes than yours .You might consider an early rise and arriving SLIGHTLY later and still getting some benefit from the day rather than missing out on an opportunity to learn.

Mullbiker i will bet your are glad and i am also sure you for one know how to put wild venison in to the food chain as do other stalkers on the island i have met. I have also been to other out lying areas in scotland and some very nice estates are run like a clock with superb facilitys. The unfrastructure in the north and far south of scotland is already in place and most know how to benifit from a natural resource. Were as here in the central belt is an unknown quantity and certainly an area that could fill the venison gap for the industry when the larger deer are out of season. I dont know how much venison is produced in the central belt nor dose any one else, But i know this most of it is getting produced in a pour way by a lot of un educated stakers ,who after shooting there deer dont really have a clue what to do with it. So while we might not produce as much Venison as the large estates we still produce a lot and we have many many more deer stalkers here than any were else who In my opinion need educated. ;)
Limulus. I am glad you came all the way to scotland and do wounder why when england has its own BP days with the guides writen and disscussed by the co writer PETER WATSON i would have thought that would have been the one to go to.

Back