Shotgun upgrade to FAC

HoyBoy

I have a Browning pump action which is currently a 3 shot on a SGC but i have all the components to make it into an 11 shot. I dont have a slot on my FAC for it but i dont think there would be a problem getting one. If i get it on my ticket how do i go about transferring it from a SGC to FAC?

when you apply for an fac rated shotgun authority you also notify your FEO at the same time that you intend to turn that particular shotgun on your SGC to that FAC rated shotgun
they can do it all at the same time
and when your FAC comes back , your shotgun should already be written on it
simples

Take it to an RFD, it comes off your certificate and goes into their register as a section 2 shotgun. Then the shotgun can be converted to FAC spec.
In the meantime you must get the gap on your FAC for a section one shotgun in the calibre you require. You can then go to the RFD who will then enter the shotgun on to your FAC. His register should state that it was converted back to section 1.
As far as i know there is only a proof requirement for mag restriction.
Also you will have to give good reason for it, i.e. pigeon shooting, vermin control etc.
You will then have conditions applied to that firearm as you would a rifle. If you want to shoot solid slug you will need to apply for that too.

Last edited:
Take it to an RFD, it comes off your certificate and goes into their register as a section 2 shotgun. Then the shotgun can be converted to FAC spec.
In the meantime you must get the gap on your FAC for a section one shotgun in the calibre you require. You can then go to the RFD who will then enter the shotgun on to your FAC. His register should state that it was converted back to section 1.
As far as i know there is only a proof requirement for mag restriction.
Also you will have to give good reason for it, i.e. pigeon shooting, vermin control etc.
You will then have conditions applied to that firearm as you would a rifle.

WOW
I never had to go through all that rigmoral , apart from good reason which was vermin controll over the phone
knocked the crimp out myself to turn it back to a 4 shot magazine and 1 in the spout, or could of just bought a new magazine for it and fitted it myself,
no RFD involved
the 18 shot revolving conversion kit just screwed on with out any bother
don't hav the conversion kit any more mind you
but this was 5 years ago, looks like things hav altered slightly since

I wouldn't have thought that there was a need to go through a RFD as you can sign the converted gun on yourself, that is if you can do the work yourself. The obvious thing is to phone your firearms department and explain to them what you want to do and ask them how they want to deal with it. The important thing is to not convert the gun until you have the necessary authority.

I guess different forces have different rules (No surprise there then....)

I recently upgraded my Extrema2 to 9 shot, I already owned the shotgun on my SGC, I had the slot available on my FAC.

I bought the bits and fitted them myself, but Northants insisted that I take it to an RFD to get it signed off my SGC and onto my FAC.

Am under Northants myself, and your right different forces do seem to have different ways of doing things.

Not quite the same but something similar where I purchased a rifle abroad, I was informed by my local force to write it on myself as I already had the authority to possess in this country.

Back