Home visits scrapped?

I had a home visit today from North Wales Police, a very nice guy came with my new FAC, checked my weapons and security and then took the FAC away to amend because I mentioned in passing that I found it frustrating that I could not shoot a fox whilst using my .270 which is conditioned for deer. He said that he would take the FAC away and re-word it so that I could shoot a fox if out on a deer trip but would assume that if asked to go foxing I'd use my .243. which is conditioned for deer and foxes. He also said that if I wanted to go for boar in the UK and just sent in a copy of the permission or booking he would immediately vary my .270 to use on boar at no cost.

This is a most refreshing change in what has happened in the past up here and furthermore there has been no requirement for named ground as I most book ad hoc stalking here and there around the country these days.

A bad move in my opinion.....personally i think someone should have the responsibility to view the applicants home and how they live.

Its a bloody good idea , after youve had the first one to check your cabinets i dont see why they should keep coming round if nothings changed , its another thing if you have gained more guns or been convicted of something other than that what are they doing ? just looking at the same old cabinet ?

+1 Trouble,
Had a shotgun licence since the 10bob one disappeared and a firearms cert for ~25 years. Moved house once since and apart from increasing my firearms, I don't think they needed to come when nothing has changed.

I don't see the point in a visit for renewal if nothing has changed.

My force seem pretty relaxed. They changed my address on my FAC when I moved and I upgraded my safe - I've never had a FEO in my new house and I've lived here for over three years! I gave them all my new details and the size of my new safe in a letter and they just sent the FAC back with the new address on it. Heard nothing from them since?!

I was talking to a mate a 10 days ago and he has just renewed over the phone, a few questions he said no hasle sorted, it should not be a problem if nothing has changed since last renewal.

I had a home visit today from North Wales Police, a very nice guy came with my new FAC, .

Sounds like you got the same bloke as me. A breath of fresh air, after what I was told to expect from NWP.
(Although apparently his colleague is known as the FPO (P = prevention). Lucky it was his day off!)

Seems like a bit of a non-story to me, designed to create a bit of a furore. Notice it says that "blanket" home visits will be stopped, not "all" home visits.
I'll wager that a grant will still attract a visit, and also any variation which takes the number of firearms above what the police know your current storage capacity to be.
More smoke, mirrors and spin.

Back