Got a case stuck

Heym SR20

Just looked at Finnbear's notes on tapping in a nut to withdraw a stuck case, but dont have a tap to hand,

Any other ideas please chaps as have got a case stuck in a die.

Take the die out screw a threaded bolt into the primer pocket (tight fit ) soak with WD 40 or simillar then put back in your press and use a spanner on bolt head and a hammer to knock the stuck case out its not ideal but it worked for me !!!!!! oh it will waste that case but at least its out

Could you not unscrew the collett on the top of the die which holds the depriming pin then drop a pin down inside the case thru the top of the die and tap it out?

They stick like **** to a blanket as they say !!!!
The force needed to do that would just put a bigger hole through bottom of case !!!

Get some Lee dies problem disappears. Wrecked a load of RCBS dies in my past when learning how to resize brass wrongly, wont have any now.

The one and only time I got a case stuck in a re-sizing die was donkeys years ago when I didn’t have anyone to ask as no one local to me reloaded rifle at that time. Such things as stuck case removers were only things seen in catalogues from the U.S. nobody that I knew had one. The problem was caused by using 3 in 1 oil to lube the cases, the same as I had been shown to use for pistol cases ( T/C dies were a new thing then). I did everything wrong but managed to get the case out of the die without damaging the die but more by luck than judgement.
What I did was to take the die out of the press and cut the head off the protruding case close to the die mouth with a junior hacksaw. I then carefully buckled and collapsed the case inside the die by careful levering with a screwdriver until it was looser in the die. A pair of pointy nosed pliers was then used to pull out the buckled case. I was very fortunate in that I did not scratch the inside of the die. After that I disregarded everything I had been told about using 3 in 1 and bought some proper case lube and powdered graphite for the inside of the neck.
Since then I have always been careful to use a proper case lube and graphite or dry lube.

Thanks chaps for the advice. Have got hold of set of tabs and will tap a bolt in to extract the case.

I have been using the Lee lube - is there a better choice?

Contrary to some ideas out there, Carbide dies still need lube.

I know where you are coming from Steve but I was making the point that at that time we were all still using plain steel dies to reload straight walled pistol cases. Nobody seemed to have T/C dies at that time. It was a good few years before I bought a titanium (not tungsten) carbide resizing die from North Devon Reloading Supplies.

Make your own extractor from an old socket and a washer and a 8mm bolt and 8mm tap you dont need to buy one its easy to make yourself

Thanks chaps for the advice. Have got hold of set of tabs and will tap a bolt in to extract the case.

I have been using the Lee lube - is there a better choice?

Try using Imperial case wax - you just use a minuscule amount on your fingers and a small tin appears to last forever. The Lee case lube (the white stuff) is water based and can rust the inside of your dies.

Good luck with the stuck case - stuff like that always seems to happen to me when I am up against a deadline. The last occasion was when loading some extra rounds the day before flying to South Africa, only to snap the arm off my priming tool...thank God for mates that stay up late to make emergency equipment loans!

Adam.

Try using Imperial case wax - you just use a minuscule amount on your fingers and a small tin appears to last forever. The Lee case lube (the white stuff) is water based and can rust the inside of your dies.

Good luck with the stuck case - stuff like that always seems to happen to me when I am up against a deadline. The last occasion was when loading some extra rounds the day before flying to South Africa, only to snap the arm off my priming tool...thank God for mates that stay up late to make emergency equipment loans!

Adam.

You've had this happen to your dies? I've used it, in certain applications, for twenty+ years with no such concerns.~Muir

Yes I have, and I know two other people that have had the same thing happen - plus there was a recent thread on another forum, indicating that it was quite common here (probably in conjunction with the crappy English climate).

If I can find the thread, I'll post a link to it or 'cut and paste' if it requires registration.

Adam.

Thanks for all the advice. Took me ten minutes with a 5mm drill to drill out the primer pocket, a 6pm tap to tap in a thread, and 6pm bolt a couple of washers and a socket to act as a spacer. No damage done to the dies - had to import the 7x65 dies from Austria so did n't want to have to scrap the die. With the right tools it is a non issue.

There was a little bit of rust on thread of the expanded ball. I will make a point of cleaning the dies well after use and leaving a light film of oil on before storing.

Thanks for all the advice. Took me ten minutes with a 5mm drill to drill out the primer pocket, a 6pm tap to tap in a thread, and 6pm bolt a couple of washers and a socket to act as a spacer. No damage done to the dies - had to import the 7x65 dies from Austria so did n't want to have to scrap the die. With the right tools it is a non issue.

There was a little bit of rust on thread of the expanded ball. I will make a point of cleaning the dies well after use and leaving a light film of oil on before storing.
That's another few degrees up the learning curve then!!:D

Back