Thread: Hello from the other end of the world

Hello from the other end of the world

I'm John Foxwell from Oz.

Firstly, a bit of background, like a lot of young hunters in Australia I started on feral pigs and goats and when I moved south, rabbits and foxes were added to the list.
    I'm a latecomer to deer hunting but I'm sure I won't have to convince anyone here how addictive it's become for me. Our deer season kicks off on the 1st March and I'm really champing at the bit.
    I've been primarily hunting fallow, but there are reds and sambar in the areas I hunt but they've been pretty elusive. Maybe, just maybe, this year will be different.

My main deer rifle is a Remington mountain rifle in 7mm08 and it's been great, but I've been bitten by the European cartridge bug and I'm in the process of putting together a 6.5x57 on a Mk X action and I'm collecting the bits and pieces to build a 7x64 on a Parker Hale action. The 6.5 will get a run this season, I'm not so sure about the 7x64.

I've added a photo of a fallow buck I took last season with my Ruger No1 in 7x57.
    My son shot his first deer, a fallow doe earlier in the day with the same rifle.

Cheers, John

Nice buck John, I hope you find the site as useful as I have some really helpful people on here.

Welcome to the site. That is a nice Fallow Buck hope the coming season goes well for you all.

Welcome to the forum.
    I didn't realise until recently that there were any deer in Australia and Tasmania. I know better now. It's those damn Europeans introducing everything there.

Welcome to the site John,
    that's a nice buck you've got there, took with a classic calibre too great stuff.
    They'll be a few over here Champing at the bit as well on anticipation of the roe buck season
    Best of luck .

Rgds. Buck.
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 11-02-2011 at 20:17.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"