Please explain whats safe and whats not ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbobsam

I am not an argumentative sort of person, but I would like to know your thoughts on something. I have received criticism for shooting the 3 legged muntjac at an extended range when I have taken every possible precaution to make it a safe shot. I didn't go out to shoot muntjac at that range, I was out doing some pest control and an unexpected pest arrived. I did not break any laws and I certainly didn't shoot outside my ability so can you explain the problem.

I understand what CSL means when he says that stalking is all about creeping up on your quarry and reducing the range, which I readily accept. But I wasn't looking or stalking for deer, as I said I was out performing perfectly legal and safe pest control duties. The pest just turned out to be muntjac and if I had wasted time trying to get closer he would have been off into the woods or onto some other individuals land.

Some people go hunting for wild boar, shooting .375H&H Magnums at 100yds+ with with 250grain solid lead slugs doing 4500ft/lbs energy and shoot free standing at a running boar doing 20mph. (Highly prone to richochet) They then criticise me, shooting off sandbags in a valley with perfect backstop at a 3 legged muntjac trotting at 3-5mph, using frangible bullets at 1600ft/lbs energy.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Please explain the sanity of this ???:doh::doh::doh:

I understand it is not stalking, but I wasn't out stalking. I was out doing pest control and Muntjac are deemed to be vermin with an open season !!!

Last edited:
I think the problem is exactly as you've said it. Pest control vs stalking. I know people go way off topic sometimes, especially in the general section (I think thats what its for anyway).
Maybe long range shooting at deer treating them as pests could go in the 'other hunting' section.

I am not an argumentative sort of person, but I would like to know your thoughts on something. I have received criticism for shooting the 3 legged muntjac at an extended range when I have taken every possible precaution to make it a safe shot. I didn't go out to shoot muntjac at that range, I was out doing some pest control and an unexpected pest arrived. I did not break any laws and I certainly didn't shoot outside my ability so can you explain the problem.

I understand what CSL means when he says that stalking is all about creeping up on your quarry and reducing the range, which I readily accept. But I wasn't looking or stalking for deer, as I said I was out performing perfectly legal and safe pest control duties. The pest just turned out to be muntjac and if I had wasted time trying to get closer he would have been off into the woods or onto some other individuals land.

Some people go hunting for wild boar, shooting .375H&H Magnums at 100yds+ with with 250grain solid lead slugs doing 4500ft/lbs energy and shoot free standing at a running boar doing 20mph. (Highly prone to richochet) They then criticise me, shooting off sandbags in a valley with perfect backstop at a 3 legged muntjac trotting at 3-5mph, using frangible bullets at 1600ft/lbs energy.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Please explain the sanity of this ???:doh::doh::doh:

I understand it is not stalking, but I wasn't out stalking. I was out doing pest control and Muntjac are deemed to be vermin with an open season !!!

Oh go on then, I'll give this a spin since you been perfectly reasonable towards me in the past. So long as you take the following as friendly advice.

You're feeling irked. Yes you are so don't deny it and Stop it immediately.

On here:

Calling deer (or classing deer as) "vermin" is not going to tend to win you many friends. Whether they are vermin in your quoted circumstances or not.

Talking about taking "Youtube" type long-range shots at Deer, is not going to win you many friends on here either. Especially when you also start talking about dialling in adjustments on factors which can easily be badly misjudged and yes they can, no-matter how confidently you say otherwise. Indeed it's just such misguided confidence that many would take exception to.

And... describing continental hunting practice in deregatory terms (which, by the way, is done with packs of dogs and veritable hoards of beaters and followers and not just the guns and few beaters) is certainly not going to win you any friends. Incidentally, the way the guns are laid out and the arcs of fire are all organised so that the obedient and dilligent gun is actually a totally safe gun, even if there were to be a ricochet, which rarely happens... and, in the event, any wounded beast's tracking and speedy humane slaughter is given absolute priority and if you'd done any of this type of shooting you'd know these things rather than making silly remarks.

It's the stalking directory. Other types of conduct are worthy of discussion but any extreme types of practice, especially flukey stuff that's as likely to leave an animal wounded as make a clean kill is going to be, quite rightly, looked down upon.

Getting a wee rap over the proverbials is company policy when lines get breached that may leave the site looking like a battle ground full of opinionated a***holes talking shoite.

Now you know where at least one line lies, there are many. Good luck~Tom

Hello robbobsam,

Muntjac are not pests, they are deer. Even if they were pests you at the time out on the ground did not have permission to shoot them as you had to ''text'' the landowner for permission to shoot them. And yes I have said in the past shoot them on sight.

I was quite interested in your photographs in your origional post, you said you shot them at last light, last night! However the photographs show an un-gralloched Buck, photo information say's they were taken this morning at 1119. I could be wrong:confused:

Regards

Robbosam, please don't take this the wrong way but I think you're treading on thin ice here....

The other thread was locked for a reason and this one can only go the same way.

Do yourself a favour mate, if you take a shot that you feel the need to brag about.... Post it on Airgunbbs :rolleyes:

You shot a moving deer sorry I mean you shot at some 'vermin' at 375 yards and wonder why its looked down upon? Its not a case of whats 'safe' as it is ethics. As has been said before if you want to see what you are up to keep punching paper and dont risk it on a living breathing animal. If you carry on taking shots like this its only a matter of time before a shot goes wrong and you have a wounded deer off in the woods to die a slow and painful death from blood loss or infection. Also as has been stated the ungralloched buck in day light that was shot at last light doesn't look to good for a food hygiene point of view. If you are going to keep shooting animals at this distance dont post it on here as if you haven't realised yet it doesn't go down well at all.

George

Robbobsam,
Hi The title of this thread is slightly misleading as your ability to select a safe backstop was not in question albeit very important. I think for others and certainly me its the continued threads regarding the long range shooting of not just deer but all you have permission to shoot. Pest or not the intended target deserves respect in its last moments . 300+ yards , crosswind ,plus moving target is not the banker you suggest . Just my feelings ..

Long range shooting might impress people on some forums, but it repulses most people on here. One day you will lose a wounded deer, it is a horrible thing to experience, and that is why most experienced stalkers do everything they can to try keep the margin for error as low as possible. They get as close as they can before taking a shot and do not shoot deer on the move. In my mind, the only time you should shoot at a non-stationary deer is when it is severely injured. Not trying to be pedantic, but you didn't know your muntjac was missing a leg until after you'd shot it, did you?

Last edited:
I don't think you're argumentative, more provocative with your long shots at animals in some of your posts, you seem to revel in posting your shots of rabbits to 500 yards and your "famous hare" shot at 704 yards, all your words. You've only had a FAC for 10 months and seem to be testing yourself using live game to boost your kudos on the site, the post you're complaining about follows the first friendly nudge from one of the forums owners, you could be the next target yourself, wake up or grow up, you're p*****g on your own boots fella. deerwarden

Robbobsam

Do yourself a favor and give in, cus you know your wrong, be a man and accept it.

ATB

Dave

Robbobsam

Do yourself a favor and give in, cus you know your wrong, ATB

Dave

And there lies a "BIG PROBLEM" with this Guy, he sees NO WRONG in what he do's. IMHO he has NO RESPECT of ANY of the Quarry he Snipe's at as for MUNTJAC DEER being classed as PEST CONTROL or VERMIN :(

Robbosam,you obviously love to:stir:I would like to ask if you have a dog trained for deer and seeing as you have only had a FAC for less than a year you will learn the hard way
You are impressing no one
Why feel the need too
Deer WILL suffer,unless of course you are a SAS sniper or something of that ilk
Another question where did you manage to shoot as well after such a limited time shooting,I think you like storytelling:fib:
I also predict you need to watch thyself:ban:
Deer of any species are NOT vermin and should be treated with respect

And there lies a "BIG PROBLEM" with this Guy, he sees NO WRONG in what he do's. IMHO he has NO RESPECT of ANY of the Quarry he Snipe's at as for MUNTJAC DEER being classed as PEST CONTROL or VERMIN :(

Guys,

I asked the question about safety as initially safety issues were raised. You now argue the case on ethics. I am a reasonable guy and will listen to anyone that talks sense so let me pose this question to you.

What shows more repect.

Guy1. Who takes the time to perfect ammunition to generate tight groups at long range, then practice till he can do it consistently, then purchase wind meters, ballistic software, rangefinders, suitable long range scope and rifle then practice on paper at all ranges to perfect his drop charts before actually shooting at live game. Then when you shoot at live game you use sandbags to ensure you minimise the chances of missing and you take all precautions to ensure the shots you take are safe shots.

Guy2. Buys a rifle off of gun trader, sticks a cheap scope on it, gets factory ammo from gun shop then shoots at running boar 150yds away @ 20MPH with it whilst standing up or leaning against a tree.

I suggest that Guy1 is the safer shooter.

I accept that some of you may find me shooting the muntie at range wasn't your cup of tea. Similarly, I do a lot of fishing and the thought of someone taking a 40lb carp out of a lake and eating it as the Polish have been doing angers me too, so I will accept the criticsm on the grounds of respect for people feelings towards deer.

I do not accept that what I did was unsafe or cruel and dangerous.

Come on lads with 3 legs if he wouldnt have shot it the fox would have taken it and after reading this thread i think he did it a favour

Atb Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back