land check course ?

Distinguished Member
Hi Guys

Does anybody know of a course aimed directly at land checking/assement as i have a closed ticket at the moment and the FL Manger said if i do a course in land checking he will open my ticket up.
I have my dsc1 already, but its all red tape as you will be too aware off.

Many thanks
ATB
Dave

That's an interesting one. I would have thought that the FEO would have been the best person to have been on the course! I suspect any ex military stalkers have expired field firing qualifications but these are based upon putting ammunition traces over the land. I would think your best bet was a detailed plan showing boundaries, footpaths, habitation and where you intend to shoot from together with a risk assessment of your activities. I have not heard of a formal qualification but if one exists would like a go at it.

been there done that(advise off ngo etc etc), but there standing firm and saying unless i do a proper course on land assesments they will not open it up yet :doh:.

Does such a course exsist ?

Last edited:
I would specifically ask as per the 2002 guidance what is required of you to allow you to have an open ticket. Do not entertain weird demands from any firearms office. Ensure it is in writing and specifically say you believe you can provide evidence that would satisfy the requirements to have an open certificate as per the 2002 guidance where the requirements can be clarified in writing.

Doesn't DSC 1 cover safety, including what does and does not constitute a safe shot? Which is all land assessment is about, isn't it? In which case, what's their problem???

Andrew

...funnily enough, I've just finished drafting my course.

1) Would you shoot directly towards houses? YES/NO
2) Would you shoot directly towards sheep, cows, anything you're not supposed to? YES/NO
3) Would you shoot if you didn't have a safe backstop? YES/NO
4) Any idea where your boundaries are? YES/NO
5) If you have footpaths, etc, do you know where they are? YES/NO

There you go, chuck us a fiver and I'll get my daughter to bang out a certificate of some kind - she's a dab-hand with her felt-tips.;)

(Seriously though, I've never heard of that one before....good luck)

i assume 50% correct answers constitute a pass then :)

just out of interest 223 how long have you had your FAC ?

If you have any luck on finding a course ! please let us know and i'll come with you !! :lol: Been waiting for 7 weeks for land clearance and it looks as if it'll be another few weeks yet !!?? :eek: winter season will be gone by then !

the FL Manger said if i do a course in land checking he will open my ticket up.

:rofl:

That has to rate as one of the best ones yet! Did he tell you that on the 'phone? Why don't you write/email him and formally request that your FAC be opened up and ask for any refusal in writing. Then you have something to work on.

I think you can fairly ask for chapter and verse on this requirement which seems pretty arbitrary. However, since DSC2 covers safe shooting and 'reading the ground' in very practical terms it seems the route to go. The underlying basis of the present limitation is that you are deemed to be of limited competence. Holding DSC2 would say otherwise and it is more stalking after all.

Sounds like a right crock of it if you ask me,i would definatly ask for it in writing,never heard of such an unrealistic request.

223.....there is no course that FEO's go on to check land,that's what makes the idea of 'land checks' such a lot of nonsense

Grant of an open ticket

Daniel asks how long you've had your FAC 223, down hear in kent it don't appear to matter, I'd had my ticket for an FAC air rifle and a 22lr for a couple of months,wrote saying i'd had numerous invites to shoot on different pieces of land(too many to list),that i intended to go deer stalking on an occasional bassis ("pay and play") and that i would like a sec1 shotgun for pidgeon shooting and clay pidgeon shooting, a17hmr for foxes and please could i have a .243, low and behold within two weeks i got an open ticket on all my rifles, and i've got target shooting, vermin, foxes, any other wildlife in conection with the managment of an estate, birds under the general licence (sec 1 s/gun) and deer
Seems your FEO did'nt read the same book as mine?

Tikkat3

223.....there is no course that FEO's go on to check land,that's what makes the idea of 'land checks' such a lot of nonsense

There is no course that feo's go on full stop. Ask him for his qualifications to do the job he is doing. He hasn't got any, i know becouse i asked him the same question.
The feo in question is full of these self made rules and whoops he wants you to jump through and until recently he has got away with it as his past managers have known even less than him about firearms, ballistics and home office guidance.
This has now changed and i dont think the new manager will put up with this feo's bs. Unfortunately it seems that this area will be loosing a good feo at the end of the month due to his contract term ending so more fac holders will have this feo with a god complex imposed on them. Stick to your guns and join a good org that will back you when the chips are down.

atb
rem

The course in question is in fact, available on application to either, Mulder, or Scully,.......... but you could just get a pass out from Cheshire F.L.O. .............., what say you Keith?

Back