reminton 770

bennunn

right chaps what do i think off this i have been looking at a reminton 770 with a wildcat moderator in 243. cal . what do we all think chap ?? -

It should be cheap. Is it new? How much has it done? What are you going to be doing with it? I have one in .243 and whilst on one hand it shoots prvi cheap ammo into just over an inch at 100 yds and has never faile to do the job, it has to be said it's very cheaply made. I don't think it would last a lifetime and I'm told the barrel is press fit into the action not threaded so when its shot out, bye bye.

That said if you're going to fire 10 shots at deer a year and a hanful of zeroing- why shouldn't it last well?

I felt a bit cheated when I'd had mine for a while and I'm still half tempted to find out exactly what edgar bros 3 year "no quibble gaurantee" means, because there's nothing actually wrong with it....but....I don't honestly like it very much.

Tom

If its cheap then fine but they are ugly as f***. The reviews that I have seen have suggested that they shoot ok though. I think they are aimed at the once a year american hunter who pops down to walmart to buy his rifle

If its cheap then fine but they are ugly as f***. The reviews that I have seen have suggested that they shoot ok though. I think they are aimed at the once a year american hunter who pops down to walmart to buy his rifle

i agree , i nearly bought one for the wife but thought better off it !

right chaps what do i think off this i have been looking at a reminton 770 with a wildcat moderator in 243. cal . what do we all think chap ?? -

Total rubbish. Might make a good canoe anchor. I would be insulted if I was given one.

Total rubbish. Might make a good canoe anchor. I would be insulted if I was given one.

I didn't like to say that! To be fair mine does shoot straight-ish reliably and its very utilitarian which has a certain appeal. What do you think of my comment re the 3 year no quibble guarantee?

I have never handled one, personally, but the reviews I have read seem to be inspired by happy shooters. Most think it a bit crude, but none complain about accuracy and function in the non-magnum calibers. The 300WM shooters seem to hate them but it's probably because they get the bejeezus kicked out of them. I wonder who makes them? They are a heavy manufacturing/design departure from Remington's norm.

Personally, I wouldn't own one. The look terrible and probably feel like the awful Model 710~Muir

I have never handled one, personally, but the reviews I have read seem to be inspired by happy shooters. Most think it a bit crude, but none complain about accuracy and function in the non-magnum calibers. The 300WM shooters seem to hate them but it's probably because they get the bejeezus kicked out of them. I wonder who makes them? They are a heavy manufacturing/design departure from Remington's norm.

Personally, I wouldn't own one. The look terrible and probably feel like the awful Model 710~Muir

Muir,

As I understand it they are the upgrade from the 710 in an effort to get over the dire problems that the 710 had. Seems the marketing ploy has worked and they're catching some with it.

Got to agree with most of the posts here. I had a 710 in 30.06. Was a particuarly nasty item. Bought it at the time for a purpose thinking i wouldnt use the calibre very often. Would have been much better buying one of Brithunters "golden oldies".
With the good help from Tom Young of Continental shooting it was returned to Edgar Bros who issued a full credit against a better quality rifle.

i dont know what everyones problem is with the 710 ok they look ugly and the finish isnt that of a quality rifle but remington never claimed it was and this is reflected in the price, but i will say when i owned one it shot straight and acounted for over 100 foxes in its 1st year with a 95% kill rate with foxes out to over 240yrds. ok i have sold the rifle now for somthing a little more refined (sako 75) but it did the job at the time

i dont know what everyones problem is with the 710 ok they look ugly and the finish isnt that of a quality rifle but remington never claimed it was and this is reflected in the price, but i will say when i owned one it shot straight and acounted for over 100 foxes in its 1st year with a 95% kill rate with foxes out to over 240yrds. ok i have sold the rifle now for somthing a little more refined (sako 75) but it did the job at the time

Just thank your lucky stars that you had one that didn't have the problems that forced even a reluctant Remington to do a redesign and correct some quite serious faults. Let's face it the 710 and 770 are throw away rifles. The barrels are glued in and not changable the stocks I believe are glued to the tube reciever the bolts are pressed and glued? together. Sounds just wonderful does it not?

The Sako is not only more refined at least it built upon basice gunmaking principles unlike the Remington. As I stated before if you had offered me your 710 for free I would really be insulted. I would never allow one in the house.

oh you are a crule lot, i think you have to remeber tho lads not everyone can afford a sako,heym or blaser or what ever floats your boats or canoe's for that matter and we have to make the best of what we could afford at the time and for me at one point it was a 710 with a s+b 8x56 which i would have rather had over a sako 75 with a hawke pro air scope ontop. all the best anyway boys i'm off to find my old 710, i think the bloke now uses it to keep his boot on his car open as the opening rams have gone

oh you are a crule lot, i think you have to remeber tho lads not everyone can afford a sako,heym or blaser or what ever floats your boats or canoe's for that matter and we have to make the best of what we could afford at the time and for me at one point it was a 710 with a s+b 8x56 which i would have rather had over a sako 75 with a hawke pro air scope ontop. all the best anyway boys i'm off to find my old 710, i think the bloke now uses it to keep his boot on his car open as the opening rams have gone

Well you obviously have not looked very hard at the markets :rolleyes: as for being cruel............................. Nope we have probably saved the poor soul from being sucked in my some clever marketing for a piece of crappy plastic and something resembling metal :doh:. Now for a lot less than that piece of junk would have cost something like this is easily found:-

P2190085.jpg

P2190086.jpg

P2190150.jpg

P2190153.jpg

P2190155.jpg

243 Win already threaded 1/2" UNF and just to appease the free floating crowd I notice that someone in the past has bedded the reciever and free floated the barrel. Now as I know the previous owner slightly and seen the targets he shot with it. Total cost with shipping and transfer fees .............. £185. The previous owner had a Doctor varible scope on it but his son stole it and flogged it :rolleyes: hence the rings are missing so will have to get some new ones once we decide which scope will be used.

Now the chap my friend got this rifle off decided to "customise it" slightly and added the fore stock tip and grip cap, added stippling panels to the chequering and did some rather neat engraving and added a recoil pad to replace the Midland butt plate. I assume it was he who did the glass bedding job which is also very neat but am not sure so will try to find out:-

P2190149.jpg

P2190150.jpg

P2190151.jpg

In the old style he engraved the pin heads.

P2190145.jpg

P2190146.jpg

As only one side of the receiver ring has an engraved panel on it I can only think he did not complete the work for some reason. Ahhh and I must pull the stock off the adjust the trigger a bit as it's set at under 2lbs at present which is too light for me on a stalking rifle.

Yes it's another oldie :lol: Oh yes and I just noticed the "R" stamped on the bolt tail :-| so it seems I might have a Remington manufactured bolt here. P-H altered Spingfield 03 bolts and it seems had a special receiver made to accept them as it does not look like an 03 action.

Back