bullets ?

bennunn

right what bullet would u guys recoment for a 243 but got to have the nockdown power to shoot from foxes up to red deer i want one bullet to do all the same job but when shooting red it will be neck shot so any idears please chaps

I use a 110gr vmax (in .270) for hinds and foxes, it will make a hell of a mess of a fox though, if you are shooting skinners it's ok but there is a huge amount of meat damage (you will lose both sholders and if you clip the spine it will bruise the saddle).

right what bullet would u guys recoment for a 243 but got to have the nockdown power to shoot from foxes up to red deer i want one bullet to do all the same job but when shooting red it will be neck shot so any idears please chaps

100gr SP.
But what makes you think you will only neck shoot Reds and not ever heart / lung shoot them? 100gr will be fine for fox's if you hit them in the right place and if you can't hit them in the right place you shouldn't even consider neck shooting a Red.
It's perfectly possible to find two different rounds for your rifle and adjust the scope accordingly. e.g. my 100gr shoot 3 clicks right (and slightly higher, which is perfect) of my 85gr at 100yards. 3 clicks and I've adjusted for the other round, simple.
As an Under-keeper, when you are out for fox's will you really need a bullet for Reds at the same time?

100gr sp will do for both, if as the previous poster said you can put it in the right place, also as previous poster said you
can adjust the scope, to suit , or if you are a home loader its possible to load two different bullet weights to shoot to the same P.O.A. just takes a bit of time in my case 100 gr sp and 95gr B/tip shoot to same P.O.A tried some 80gr factory ammo and only a half inch difference at 100 yards , would imagine that it would be possible to load 80gr to shoot to same P.O.A as 100gr might take a bit of time working out loads but should be possible.

Below is an example shot by a Tikka T3 Hunter .243 which I sold recently on this site.
With 75gr V.Max. re-loaded bullets shooting half-an-inch above centre of the bullseye the 100gr SP Privi Partisan shot as shown on the target.
That bullet would be suitable for either Foxes or Deer but personally I would prefer a larger calibre for Reds.

HWH.
[ picture missing, will try again ! ]
REDSINSNOW012.jpg

Last edited:
I can recommend nothing higher than Norma 100g SP's for factory ammo. shot plenty of fox, roe and reds with this, always had perfect results. First time I used Federal I was disappointed, just IMHO and observation.

You will find the 100g if it stabilises fine, will drop around 1.1" at 150 yds, 3.6" at 200 yds, and 7.8" at 250 yds. unless you have a BDC, or you shoot fox close-in, you might find a flatter round better for fox, as often foxing is done at the 125-250 yard range, and on that small body, it might be tricky getting an accurate 7.8" holdover at 250yds.. however, if you, like me, shoot both fox, roe, and red within 175 yards and no longer, you don't really need a flatter shooting round.

...of course,,I am now reloading 87g for fox and roe, and will be using .308 for reds with 168g rounds

95 grain Noslers or SST tend to shoot well in most 243 rifles. I have shot a lot of roe with them and a few sika and muntjack and had ne reason to question their performance other than the damage can be a bit excesive in comparison to my 165 grain CDP 308.

Dave

Still have some 105 gn Speer roundnose in 243, best bullet for all deer in 243, Ecoman, you must remember these as well. deerwarden

Hmmm interesting as it seems that I will be looking into this myself, hopefully in the not to distant future, having just picked up a .243. Luckily I know that it will group the 100 grain bullets just need to ask the previous owner what recipe he used. Just have to wait for the Police to swop the 6mm for the .243 for Deer and Fox. Trouble is knowing them it will not be a quick turn around :(.

Well it gives me a while to sort out a suitable scope................................. will have to give it some serious thought ;). Before you all go offering suggestions within my budget we are seriously restricted. Will have to decide on the scope before gettign the Leupold Q/R rings to suit as the rifle already has the bases. 30mm rings were supposed to be with it but they seem to have gone AWOL.

Just the one old mate don't forget to chamber it before sqeezing the trigger:stir::rofl:

cheers and the reason i was think about that coz maybe one night out lamping and next morning going stalking so want a bullet to do all jobs not having to rea zero every time and andymarsh the reason ill neck or head shoot red deer is coz off less meat damage if the shot is there

Use Nosler Partitions and worry about something else! capt david

Sorry that this is a hijack but hopefully the OP has got the info...

How does the partition perform captdavid? I know that it retains a lot of weight and has good penetration as this is what it is designed to do but how does it perform in terms of, basically, doing a lot of damage to put the animal down fast?

The reason I'm asking is that I recently managed to get some partitions (I'm in Northern Ireland so right at the end of the supply chain) after waiting more than a year for them. I've been working up a load (for a 308W) as documented in the reloading forum and have now shot one deer, in the neck, with one and it must be said that I was very impressed indeed with the amount of damage it did. However, I thought to ask those with experience of them if this is normal performance or are they so focused on penetration that damage is reduced and my experience was a one-off?

My plan is to work a little more on my partition load and shoot it at longer distances with a view to using it for red stags in September and then sika stags in October/November.

surely a bullet that is good for deer is going to have no trouble with a fox?!
just choose a bullet for your largest quarry, learn to shoot it well at ranges you expect to shoot foxes and get on with it.
if you dont know where it goes at 150, 200, 300yds etc then you should

never had to or thought about changing bullet weights.
have shot fox, roe, red hind, red stag (over 24 stones worth!) all with 130gn norma factory 270.....they all died quickly and none of them complained that I should have used a lighter, flatter, ballistic tipped, nosler, boat tail, spitzer etc etc...

Obviously, there is no such thing as a 'perfect' bullet, but if there is it might be the Partition. It is designed to open fast and to 'shed' the front part while the base penetrates. My personel experence has been with 140-150, 7mm and 150-165, 308 bullets out of a 7x57 and a 30-06. I have seen them work in a .257R and a 6.5x55. I have killed racoons(20lbs), coyotes(35lbs) javilina(40lbs), feral hogs(25-225lbs) and deer(75-300lbs). Even on the game under 50lbs, with behind the shoulder shots, I have always gotten decent/adequate expansion. If anything one should avoid shoulder shots if shooting for meat. They can 'ruin' the onside shoulder at closer ranges and higher velocities. My goto load/cartridge for all the above game is a 7x57 with 150s @2700fps. Under 100yds I try to avoid shoulders. capt david

Thanks for the info captdavid, it is good to know that they perform well in terms of damage as well as just pure penetration. I will be careful of the shoulders though based on what you say - I'm always shooting for sport and meat but I want them dead fairly quickly as usually I'm in thick forest and even a 50 yard run can mean an hour of crawling about with a torch.

I'm with you, when I hunt in the thick stuff, I'd rather loose a couple of pounds rather than the whole thing! capt david

Back