Remington ammo

bernie1959

Just brought some remington "managed-recoil" ammo in .270 cal 115gr core-lokt heads
the only reason being normaly use home loads but my local FAD is having problems getting my usual powder and they were the only factory loads he had got.
This ammo makes the boast! No scope adjustment needed! but as being a consiencious
stalker thought i would try it on a board first, now i like to have my rifles shooting 1" high at 100yds imagine my surprise when the bullet dropped 8" low of the bull does,nt inspire you with a lot of confidence if you need to take a long,ish follow up shot.

any thoughts or comments would be welcomed.

bernie:eek:

i have used corelokt in 130 and 150 grain my rifle liked them alot only thing was some rounds where nothing like others from a visual point of view ie some had canular ring showing others didnt i used the ones that where the same and the others i fired off at paper but i did get good effect from most and then i started reloading,atb wayne ps there was no noticable change and didnt need to alter my scope from each weight

no mate all over the place but did come to the conclusion my rifle seems to like 130gr bullets i am no target shooter but normally get fairly tight groups
with home loads

mereside you did not say if they were "managed-recoil" loads and not the standard loads.

ps you met me last saturday with the "putting up of the high seat"

Light bullets will ALWAYS shoot lower than bullets of a heavier weight regardless of their exit velocity.

Very frustrating but nothing can be done about it. Higher velocity = faster barrel time so less time for recoil to act. Lower velocity = slower barrel time but less recoil so barrel does not rise as far.

In fact the ONLY factor that affects the equation is, believe it or not, the weight of powder in the case which is added to the weight of the rifle to increase the total weight vs the recoil.

Plus, of course, 115 grains in a 270 probably has a worse SD than the heavier (and so longer) bullet. Though I doubt that at 100 yards that is much relevance only at, say, 300 yards.

Light bullets will ALWAYS shoot lower than bullets of a heavier weight regardless of their exit velocity.

Very frustrating but nothing can be done about it. Higher velocity = faster barrel time so less time for recoil to act. Lower velocity = slower barrel time but less recoil so barrel does not rise as far.

In fact the ONLY factor that affects the equation is, believe it or not, the weight of powder in the case which is added to the weight of the rifle to increase the total weight vs the recoil.

Plus, of course, 115 grains in a 270 probably has a worse SD than the heavier (and so longer) bullet. Though I doubt that at 100 yards that is much relevance only at, say, 300 yards.

well that is that answered:confused:

sorry bernie i have only just read your post i was using factory rounds ,nice to meet you and will be seeing you soon ,atb wayne

thanks for all your advice but just to say i took one of the said rounds apart and found only loaded with 34grs of some powder i am not an expert but most 270. rounds are loaded with "approx 50 to 60grns" of some powder por another:)

surely the answer is in the "managed recoil" part of the name.

I dont get the "light bullets always shoot lower bit", 270 is known for its ability in swapping between factory ammo at 130 and 150 without changing POI.
It sounds like you ammo is downloaded.
my Lee info for 270 has between 46- 55 (some as high as 57) gn for various powders
why not just pull them and "upload them" to avoid wasting them.

surely the answer is in the "managed recoil" part of the name.

I dont get the "light bullets always shoot lower bit", 270 is known for its ability in swapping between factory ammo at 130 and 150 without changing POI.
It sounds like you ammo is downloaded.
my Lee info for 270 has between 46- 55 (some as high as 57) gn for various powders
why not just pull them and "upload them" to avoid wasting them.

Very bad suggestion bewsher500. We do not know what powder they used in this ammunition nor to what pressure it's loaded. Just because it's not got that much in volume does not mean we can just top it up. Some suggetsions I see posted on the web make my hair, what little of it that's left, stand on end. Frightening :eek:.

Edit:- Oh in my Hodgdons #26 manual for 110 grain bullets one slow, notice the SLOW bit ;), powders charge weight suggestion is 64.0 grains of a certain powder which produces only 36,000 CUP. On the other hand 45.0 grain of a faster powder produces 48,700 CUP.

Last edited:
Back