Something for the knife collectors out there, my new Geoff Hague

JasonH

Hi All

I thought I would post something a little different which I hope will appeal to those who are interested in knives past there functional purpose as like rifles, knives can become a work of art and reflect the best in craftsmanship and quality materials.

So nearly 2 years since ordering at the 2009 Knife Fair I have just taken delivery of my new Geoff Hague fixed blade knife.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

For those interested spec is:

Blade: ATS34 Stainless resistant steel, rockwell C61/62 hardened.
Handle: Desert Iron Wood.

Don't worry I do intend to use it in the field and it will compliment my current Geoff Hague knife which has already seen regular service since its purchase.

Are there any other collectors on the forum? If so please feel free to post a picture of your knife, after all it makes a change from the usual gun p**n.

ATB

Jason

Jason

That really is a beautiful knife and I'm sure it will give you many years of pleasure.

I've just started putting together my own knives and I have to say it's a very satisfying hobby. The quality of Geoff Hague's work really shows a true craftsman.

Many thanks for posting the photos.

willie_gunn

Jason
A beautiful knife indeed, and the sheath looks really good too. I especially like that articulation in the sheath hanger.
The front quillon could be a bit bigger but then that might spoil the line of the blade.
Thanks
Geo

One thing Jason and that is you or anybody else probably wont find another knife like that.
Dont take this the wrong way but i`m not a great fan of Hague`s work.
Saying that i`m not a great fan of any of the Uk`s familier top custom makers and thats why i purchased my knife from a guy in Montana.
As i was in no rush for a knife i made a detailed search of the internet and came up with two names.
I contacted both and discussed my requirements. It was a knife maker called JD Barth who made mine.
Damascuss acid etched steel, Presentation Grade Desert Ironwood handle, Mosiac pins and file work of the back bone of the blade. As well as a superbly made welted sheath.
Just a shame i had to purchase something like this from outside the UK.

k1.jpg

Well, well Scarlet i thought you were one of the good old boys with your silver taped trousers and your hazel sticks and victorinox knives. Now i see you are just a knife tart :eek::D .

Hi Scarlet

I think I've just been out knived, beautiful now tempted to order one myself.

What sort of cost and leadtime if you don't mind me asking (PM if preferred).

ATB

Jason.

The lead time may vary Jason you`d have to contact JD Barth yourself but i recall i waited a couple of months for mine.
Just looking through the paper work now dated September 02 along with the cetificate of origin and personal letter off JD.
Over 9 years i have only used this knife on a handfull of occasions and the reason for that is that the blade (3") is`nt quite long enough for what i need.
I`v advertised it for sale on several occasions without success i think its the cost that puts folk off,lol.
I`ll pm you the details of cost Jason ;)

The mention of that rusty antiquated piece will send shivers down the spine of our JayB, 308boy :lol:
I made a pact with him via the private message service never to mention that silly old fools (*T*`s) choice of cutelry again,lmao.
Then you go and do it :D

Hmmm actually I have met a few knife makers over the years and there is a couple of Brothers from Sheffield of all places :rolleyes: that will make the knife you want as I understand it. You work out what you want with them and they make it. I chatted with them at a show about knives but as money was tight at the time left it at that.

The other I had his card somewhere that I met on a stalking appreciation course. He made knives as a pass time and hobby the oen he had on the course was avery well made knife but not to my taste. The Hague knife that this post is about is not to my particular taste either. Well made though it obviously is.

While on holiday on Skye maybe ten years ago or more I visited a knife maker in an industrial unit outside Portree. I saw a drop point damascus blade that even then was £100 and I coveted that blade. I put off buying it all week then spent the money on a gift for my wife. Whatever it was I bought her is long forgotten and every time I use my daily pocket knife or my off the shelf deer knife I'm reminded that I was an idiot for not buying that one of a kind work of art.

You get a certain amount of satisfaction from knowing that you have/own something that now one else has.
But let me give you some advice. Make sure before you part with your hard earned cash that the item you are intrested in
will perform the job that you intend to use it for.
In my case i should of opted for a 5" blade instead of a 3". Though i have`nt used the knife in the picture for a number of years now but it still gives me great satisfaction showing it to people.

lung.jpg

Another Hague

26022011070.jpg

Another Hague - this one 24 years old, desert ironwood scales, made for me when I was flying hawks and needed to unzip rabbits, but now pressed into service as a stalking knife.

Scarlet,
I did not off load my Alan Wood knives, but simply thinned out my collection.
I do still own 5 more !!!

Some strange posting here, if a man wants to sell his knife then fair enough. We do not require unreasonable comments that are antagonistic.

Geoff Who?

Prefer Stuart Mitchell's work personally.
And at least keep my money in the UK economy

Attachments

• Copy of kn2.jpg
    Copy of kn2.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Copy of kn3.jpg
    Copy of kn3.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Copy of kn8.jpg
    Copy of kn8.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 70
Back