Deerquest successor

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
We have been given a copy of the press release etc about a new product from the BDS,

"Please find attached a recent press release on this product as well as a short article which has been offered to the sporting press.
It will be first available to play with and purchase at the Newark show this weekend."

Ray Mears launches a revolutionary new training tool for stalkers

Deer stalking is a craft which involves the new practitioner in the development of a range of skills and knowledge which takes years to achieve. From safe and accurate use of a rifle through to fieldcraft, safety, game handling skills and the law there is much to learn. Most newcomers take the sensible route through DSC Level 1 and develop best practice skills through a recognised training programme provide by a reputable trainer. The British Deer Society has been at the forefront of deer management training for decades setting high standards and promoting best practice.
A number of years ago the Society, in conjunction with Deer UK, developed a popular training aid known as Deer Quest. That product is no longer available and is hopelessly outdated and so the Society has responded to the demand for a PC based training product with the launch of Ultimate Deer Data which has taken the original concept to an unbelievably enhanced level.
Ultimate Deer Data is a teaching programme designed not just to prepare users towards taking DSC Level 1 assessment but also to assist all stalkers overcome skills fade and fill those knowledge gaps which we all have. Designed as an interactive CD Ultimate Deer Data contains a wide range of sections and chapters as well as an electronic copy of the 302 page BDS training manual. There are 5 full colour interactive deer recognition quizzes, 19 interactive general knowledge and large game handling quizzes, over 600 photographs, the DSC Level 1 Safety Q+A, a new shooting skills instruction and marksmanship guide and a “how to” guide to taking DSC Level 1 assessments.
BDS UK Training Manager Dave Goffin said “We have developed this product over the last two years and it is without doubt the most comprehensive training aid available. You have the combined experience and knowledge of the entire BDS training team available in your home when you want it”.
In launching Ultimate Deer Data Ray Mears commented “This is a fantastic product and once again demonstrates that the British Deer Society sets the gold standard in deer management training”.
Ultimate Deer Data is a unique development in the world of deer management and will be showcased for the first time at the British Shooting Sports Show in Newark on the 26th and 27th of February. It will be available to purchase at the show or from 28th of February on the BDS website www.bds.org.uk or by calling 01425 655434. The single user single PC CD is priced at £49.00.

PRESS RELEASE

For immediate release – 11/2/2011

Ray Mears launches a revolutionary new training tool for stalkers

Ray Mears launched the new British Deer Society training CD Ultimate Deer Data with the comment “This is a fantastic product and once again demonstrates that the British Deer Society sets the gold standard in deer management training”.
The CD carries a huge range of information and training aids aimed at the newcomer and the seasoned stalker alike. It includes the full 302 page BDS Training manual, 5 deer recognition quizzes, 19 interactive general knowledge and large game handling quizzes, sections on shooting skills, marksmanship and stalking safety as well as over 600 photographs and a “How to” guide to taking DSC Level 1.
BDS UK Training Manager Dave Goffin said “We have developed this product over the last two years and it is without doubt the most comprehensive training aid available. You have the combined experience and knowledge of the entire BDS training team available in your home when you want it”.
Ultimate Deer Data is a unique development in the world of deer management and will be showcased for the first time at the British Shooting Sports Show in Newark on the 26th and 27th of February. It will be available to purchase at the show or from 28th of February on the BDS website www.bds.org.uk or by calling 01425 655434. The single user, single PC CD is priced at £49.00

FYI

John

Hmmm well I brought Deerquest and have never been able to get it to run on any PC as yet. In fact I gave up their support was non existant and I don't even know where the disc is now. Would think long and hard before partign with my money next time.

I have the old deerquest loaed on here and do run through a list of questions every now and again. It is easy to unlearn the questions if you crammed for the L1.Ok some questions are out of date but provided you know that all is well,
Jim

.........................The single user, single PC CD is priced at £49.00

John

Shame it's at that price, at £20, I would have considered it, as a good reference guide with the L1 Training manual included, at that price, I'll just keep flicking through the manual whenever I have a ":?:Skill Fade:?:" moment and just use this site also...............

TJ

Hmmm well I brought Deerquest and have never been able to get it to run on any PC as yet. In fact I gave up their support was non existant and I don't even know where the disc is now. Would think long and hard before partign with my money next time.

Brit, the original Deerquest CD goes for silly money on e-beg.

Simon

I think that it sounds good - even though it was outdated, I found deer quest a useful tool when I was brushing up for dsc1. My better half is now thinking of taking dsc1 and I definitely think that it would help her to learn and study.

Yes it's pricey at 50 quid, but I think it would make a lot easier reading than the manual that I studied from and with nothing else similar I'll probably fork out for it.

Gez

The hard copy manual must cost a fair bit to produce, I wonder if the new dvd will be offered to course candidates at a reduced price as an option instead of a manual included in the course cost? I will probably get a dvd just to have it, looks good. JC

Brit, the original Deerquest CD goes for silly money on e-beg.

Simon

Ahhh Simon but as the one I brought direct from them wouldn't run and they were not interested in helping after lightening my wallet :mad: why throw more money away?

I spokr to the BDS yesterday and they tell me that the CD will only work on the first PC it gets put into, so as with me having a company laptop and my own home laptop and having had them die in the past it seems to me like a waste of money.
I I buy a music CD I expect to be able to use it on any machine so it will not be for me.
They said it was to stop people lending it to friends ughhh!
I can do what I like with my property as far as I am concerned (what if your friend is looking over your shoulder at your laptop?)
Martin

Hmmm funny how they never mention that bit and it's not mentioned in the blurb that comes with it as I recall. it refused to run on my original PC as it said there were illegal programmes on it despite all the software being genuine. Thei PC support was not interested as I said, BDS were not interested they had the money even if it was obtained by selling faulty goods and as far as I am concerened this is fraud.

No use if you cannot copy it most of my music and Hunting DVD have been copied and the originals are kept in good condition at that price its just not on.

No point making judgements until you have seen it!

I am at Newark at the weekend and will see this for the first time - then I will make a judgement on this product not crap on about the old Deer Quest which was produced by Deer UK which is now defunct. The BDS training manual, much copied by other trainers, costs £30 so if this has it on board as well as the rest of the stuff the price starts to look OK. I would imagine it has been security protected to stop other trainers using the package and stealing all the work that has gone into it.

I am at Newark at the weekend and will see this for the first time - then I will make a judgement on this product not crap on about the old Deer Quest which was produced by Deer UK which is now defunct. The BDS training manual, much copied by other trainers, costs £30 so if this has it on board as well as the rest of the stuff the price starts to look OK. I would imagine it has been security protected to stop other trainers using the package and stealing all the work that has gone into it.

Oh dear I am so sorry for telling it like it happened :rolleyes: and quite frankly I do not care who made it the fact is they refused to stand behind their product. As for the company/organisation Deer UK going to the wall or disspperaing perhaps it's because this did not only happen to me. Bearing all this in mind I will not give them a second shot at rooking me again.

I spokr to the BDS yesterday and they tell me that the CD will only work on the first PC it gets put into, so as with me having a company laptop and my own home laptop and having had them die in the past it seems to me like a waste of money.
I I buy a music CD I expect to be able to use it on any machine so it will not be for me.
They said it was to stop people lending it to friends ughhh!
I can do what I like with my property as far as I am concerned (what if your friend is looking over your shoulder at your laptop?)
Martin

Ditto
Can they not issue you another code or is it locked as standard?
I had some mapping software (anquet) same thing, happened my laptop died. They sent me another code and it worked fine on new puta. I think they allow up to 3 installs now

spoke to Martin at BDS today, the product is first class and he said if your computer packs in and you have to run the disc on a second machine if yo speek to them and justify it including sending the old disc back they will replace it FOC. I guess on the 5th renewal yo might get the bad news. I will be recomending this product to my trainee stalkers without reservation.

Dave

It looks good!

Anyone get a look at this at Newark?

As I said in a previous post I reserved judgement on this until I had seen it. Well I did see it at Newark and after a 5 minute demo with Dave Goffin and Martin (New chap can't remember his name) I was impressed and ordered one. Shame they did not actually have them there to walk away with but they will post out this week. The quizzes, both recognition and on the DMQ question bank, are excellent for testing your knowledge.
I also picked up a Lansky speedy sharpener for £3.50. Small and fits in the pocket it has a ceramic v and puts a great edge on my knife - better in my opinion than the blade tech which is too course.

spoke to Martin at BDS today, the product is first class and he said if your computer packs in and you have to run the disc on a second machine if yo speek to them and justify it including sending the old disc back they will replace it FOC. I guess on the 5th renewal yo might get the bad news. I will be recomending this product to my trainee stalkers without reservation.

Dave

Thanks for clarifying this. I was actually going to phone them up myself to ask this as I would have been very surprised if it had truly been a use-once licence. You can understand them taking steps to prevent piracy, dodgy copies of Deerquest were rife, and by the sounds of it the arrangement they have is not much different from the way you have to activate Microsoft Office or other commercial software.

Alex

Back