Thread: The bear

The bear

Can anyone tell me why it is if your in the forrest of dean and you ask "who killed the bear?" you run the risk of being murdered ?

This, give or take (I think) is the condensed version..............

The two Russian bears came to the Forest in 1889 with four Frenchmen. It is believed that they had been displayed in Cinderford, and that the animals and their keepers were en route to nearby Ruardean and angry mob gave chase. Popular myth at the time had it that foreign bear-keepers fed their animals on the flesh of children. Perhaps inspired by this, a rumour had spread that the animals had killed a child and mauled a woman in the village. The residents launched a vicious attack, slaughtering the innocent animals and brutally beating two of the Frenchmen. Individuals from Ruardean witnessed the violence, and came to the rescue. They sheltered and nursed the injured itinerants. The assailants were later fined heavily for their parts in this unfounded attack, but during legal proceedings they were erroneously described as residents of Ruardean. The mocking refrain, "Who killed the bears?" taunts the people of the village to this day, and visitors are best advised not to mention the sorry episode!!

I live on the edge of Ruardean, and as child growing round here 35 - 40 years ago, I remember well, that using that phrase could lead to a bloody good kicking! I have not heard it mentioned for years now. Most of of the oldies have passed on, and the population has been well and truly diluted over the course of time!

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    and the population has been well and truly diluted over the course of time!
    Not sure about that bit Tom
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Fair comment "Old butt"............

A bit like asking anyone in Hartlepool about monkey hanging.

Hey Mike would you care to elaborate , Iv'e heard it called a few things but monkey hanging is a new one

Carefull, we have plenty of rope left!!!!!

I thought they just spank the monkey in Hartlepool nowerdays !!!
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"