Huskvarna 30-06

harrygrey382

Well I finally picked up the rifle I have been lusting after for about the past 6 months. It's a Huskvarna chambered in 30-06. I don't know the exact model, but it is based on a 1640 action. It is quite a rare example I think, becuse it is not D&T for scope mounts. The experts on swedish gunboards had only seen one before like this. Just my luck... So I'll be dropping it off at Norfolk Sporting Guns once my bank account has recovered from that and the accompanying spree at Norman Clarks! Although the rifle did only cost 195...

The stock is basic, to say the leats. Nothing wrong with it though. It has iron sights, with no elevation adjustment, and drift for windage. The action and bore are in very good nick. It's smooth (makes my Brno 98 feel like a real tractor) and feeds/ejects very nicely.

Anyone else like 1640 actions?

IMG_1412.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1414.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

IMG_1417.jpg

P1000850.jpg

hi
i own one 1640 in 6,5x55 and love it! it is very relaible extremly accurate and high quality steel in action and barrel:thumb:
i put 2 pictures of my husky in my album!

Last edited:
Harry you might regret having it D&T'd later ....................................................... I know I did with my Model 46.

Well I finally picked up the rifle I have been lusting after for about the past 6 months. It's a Huskvarna chambered in 30-06. I don't know the exact model, but it is based on a 1640 action. It is quite a rare example I think, becuse it is not D&T for scope mounts. The experts on swedish gunboards had only seen one before like this. Just my luck... So I'll be dropping it off at Norfolk Sporting Guns once my bank account has recovered from that and the accompanying spree at Norman Clarks! Although the rifle did only cost 195...

The stock is basic, to say the leats. Nothing wrong with it though. It has iron sights, with no elevation adjustment, and drift for windage. The action and bore are in very good nick. It's smooth (makes my Brno 98 feel like a real tractor) and feeds/ejects very nicely.

Anyone else like 1640 actions?

View attachment 5163

View attachment 5164

View attachment 5165

View attachment 5166

View attachment 5167

View attachment 5168
That is a very good rifle. I would think a long, hard time before I drilled that rifle. I shoot easily at 100 yards with my Model 648 Husqvarna 8x57 and I'll vouch that you can learn to be very accurate without them if you practice it.~Muir

That is a very good rifle. I would think a long, hard time before I drilled that rifle. I shoot easily at 100 yards with my Model 648 Husqvarna 8x57 and I'll vouch that you can learn to be very accurate without them if you practice it.~Muir
Yep she's a beauty. And I hear what you and Brit are saying. D&T may have its down sides, but EVEN if I did want to keep it iron sighted - these ones are so basic it's unreal. They drift for windage, no elevation. No chance of mounting a peep or any reciever sight. I will see how I go wtih them, because I need hold off D&Ting fundwise anyway. But I can't see myself ever getting that accurate. And what if I needed/wanted to take a longer shot - 200 yards say, no a smaller animal? And also, my eyesight isn't the best - .075 in both eyes. So it's ok when light is good, but as soon as light starts fading my vision nose dives. So I really think I do want a scope. I'm thinking this will bemy main hunting rifle, both in the UK and when I move to Australia.

However, if anyone know of a 1640 in 30-06 that was D&T they wanted to trade, or knew of one full stop - I'd be all ears ;)

a good gunsmith can surely drill for scope mounts. it would not be a great problem. many older husqvarna rifles has been altered in this way. if you don't want to alter the rifle ,then try to find an extra adjustable rear sight from william or other makers and replace the rear sight and keep the old one too . this dosen't require any change or altering.
cheers
daniel

a good gunsmith can surely drill for scope mounts. it would not be a great problem. many older husqvarna rifles has been altered in this way. if you don't want to alter the rifle ,then try to find an extra adjustable rear sight from william or other makers and replace the rear sight and keep the old one too . this dosen't require any change or altering.
cheers
daniel

The Problem is the same as my Model 46 of 1935 Vintage, once you Drill and Tap it's not possible to undo it :(.

Harry there is another way, a bolt tail mounted peep. In fact I am altering a damaged P-H 16 Sportarget sight for such use. It would require another bolt nut (cocking piece) or bolt shroud so the rifle can remain/be put back to original. Rigbys used to fit these to some of their rifles as did Mannlicher, Holland & Holland etc. I saw one of these P-H 16's altered and fitted to a rifle on teh Express rifles site. The original bolt tail peep is missing from my Schoenauer so ............................

Last edited:
Get a scope on it. Those old huskies are cheap as chips . If you don't like it with the scope on throw it away and buy another. My mate bought the exact same model in good condition for £90 and thats about all its worth.

Get a scope on it. Those old huskies are cheap as chips . If you don't like it with the scope on throw it away and buy another. My mate bought the exact same model in good condition for £90 and thats about all its worth.
lolol want to tell me where I can pick one up for £90? If you say Sweden - the importing adds on a big hastle and cost!

Sure. A Ford Mustang GT is 'cheap' in Detroit, too.....~Muir

looks like a bloody nice rifle to me harry. Good on you. If drilling means you actually use it, I say go for it. I really like old stuff- I'm a traditionalist . I'm also a realist and I really like old stuff that can be used, a bit like putting a toyota engine in a 1940s bedford..... best of luck, Tom

The Problem is the same as my Model 46 of 1935 Vintage, once you Drill and Tap it's not possible to undo it :(.

Harry there is another way, a bolt tail mounted peep. In fact I am altering a damaged P-H 16 Sportarget sight for such use. It would require another bolt nut (cocking piece) or bolt shroud so the rifle can remain/be put back to original. Rigbys used to fit these to some of their rifles as did Mannlicher, Holland & Holland etc. I saw one of these P-H 16's altered and fitted to a rifle on teh Express rifles site. The original bolt tail peep is missing from my Schoenauer so ............................
Although, if you look at it world wide, Jagare has a point. They are a lot less rare than something like a 46. I'd love a bolt mounted peep, and that's a really good idea. I kind of looked into it a while ago, I think a 98 cocking piece and bolt shroud would fit. Not sure what would happen to the safety but it's all theoretically possible. How much can you pick up a basic bolt-peep sight for? However, I still can't see it letting me shoot 200yards + on a smallish animal.

looks like a bloody nice rifle to me harry. Good on you. If drilling means you actually use it, I say go for it. I really like old stuff- I'm a traditionalist . I'm also a realist and I really like old stuff that can be used, a bit like putting a toyota engine in a 1940s bedford..... best of luck, Tom
Yep, that's what it means. And I bought it to use it... So what does that add up to! I'm with you on the practical traditional side too. Did you actually put a toyota engine in a 1940s Bedford? I can imagine a 2F or 2H being quite at home in one. I have a 1943 Chev with a 216 straight six, apparently you can swap the pistons with a Toyota F motor which is also 216.5cu. Very similar engines copied straight from those old OHV chevs.

Harry
2H was my choice although i've seen the B series in them too. I didn't actually do it though, ran them both on the 214 ci (or 28hp as it was called then) and sold them as they were. (think thats the same motor as your chev actually?) Now I've got a '70's series 1 landcruiser pickup with the 2H in it as standard. Sell out!

Image014.jpg

2cabs.jpg

Attachments

• Image014.jpg
    Image014.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with those old huskies. My mates shoots OK. But there are thousands of them out there. They make 1000 Sk here if you can get anyone to buy them. In my local gun shop he has a corner rack made up of 6" pipes each pipe holds a old huskie. CG. rifle or shot guns all cheap as you like. I never see a great crowd of people gathered round that rack eager to buy them.There are thousands more out there just waiting for their owners to die befor they are put out into the market. Where is the crime in puting a scope on a rifle that was bottom of the range when it was new.

Harry
2H was my choice although i've seen the B series in them too. I didn't actually do it though, ran them both on the 214 ci (or 28hp as it was called then) and sold them as they were. (think thats the same motor as your chev actually?) Now I've got a '70's series 1 landcruiser pickup with the 2H in it as standard. Sell out!
You my man, have VERY good taste in vehicles. I view those HJ47 Landcruisers as basically the best vehicle in their class EVER made. Yours is also the first I've ever seen in the UK. Did you import it, or get lucky? How does the body handle the english climate? Along with the 2H as best in class. I would love a ute, but mine is a troopy :( I will have a ute though. I've spent a hell of a lot of time around 40 series cruisers, as well as 60s and 70s. They are, unfortunately, the vehicle land rover could never be. I say that as I have a 1951 Series 1 80" which I love, but they all (defender especially) make the landcruiser feel like a tank.

Not sure what you mean by B series 'cruiser. The first letter donates the engine - HJ 47 means a long wheel base 40 series with an H (or 2h) engine. A BJ40 means a short wheel base with a B (or 2b or 3B) engine... I guess people may well have put a 2H in a short wheel base though

Cool old Bedford. I bet that 2H is right at home in it.

Here's my HJ47 troopcarrier. She's done 330000 km and still going strong. Did a 8000km road trip in it a couple of years ago and she never missed a beat. cruiser0016.jpg

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with those old huskies. My mates shoots OK. But there are thousands of them out there. They make 1000 Sk here if you can get anyone to buy them. In my local gun shop he has a corner rack made up of 6" pipes each pipe holds a old huskie. CG. rifle or shot guns all cheap as you like. I never see a great crowd of people gathered round that rack eager to buy them.There are thousands more out there just waiting for their owners to die befor they are put out into the market. Where is the crime in puting a scope on a rifle that was bottom of the range when it was new.
This makes me want to cry! I did try contacting a big gun shop in sweden but said postage was a real problem. Then this one came up and was cheap compared to other rifles, so thought it was my chance. Is there a realistic way of getting one over from sweden?

Back