Thread: I'm getting myself an eagle !

I'm getting myself an eagle !

My success rate has to increase

That is awesome put me down for one to

Wow , amazes me how the eagle comes out unscathed

Yes, the feet of an eagle are quite something to be able to hold on to such large prey but then all hawks,eagles and falcons have powerful feet.It's their main tool that they live by..
    If you happen to look at the other footage in mongolia of eagles being flown at a released wolf, this isn't falconry,it's a DISGRACE.

Bravo Gyr. I'm moved to replicate what I said on the duplicate of this thread:

Although golden eagles are capable of taking roe, they don't in the wild because no sensible bird of prey puts itself into a situation where flight feathers could get easily broken. Broken feathers = reduced hunting success. This is therefore not natural behaviour.

As you say, it's not falconry

From what I understand from my trips to the highlands. Golden Eagles do occassionally take a red calf. How do they do this? They pick the moment when the calf is in a precarious position e.g. on the edge of a cliff, and they then dive towards them in the hope of making them lose there footing. Genious and while I am sure it does not always work, I am assured that it does work sometimes and no broken flight feathers!!

I have never been too sure what species of deer that was. It appears to be a Roe but is surely too small? Could it be a CWD?

It's a roe; I think the film was taken in Germany

i disagree; i travel up to Perthshire for a week each year to do some falconry. This is mostly with harris hawks but the guys i go out with also have a golden eagle which they cannot fly that often. However, when they do hunt with it they let it do all the work itself, soaring freely and just basically injoying the view. Just over two years ago it took a roe doe all of it's own initiative which was clearly browsing too far from the edge of a sitka spruce plantation.