Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Last known US WWI veteran dies today.

Last known US WWI veteran dies today.

His name was Frank Buckles. He lied about his age to become an ambulance driver at age 16. He died at 110 years of age.~Muir

Established Poster
    Canadian expat in Cambridge
    The end of an era. RIP

I hope they give him a Funeral to match the significance of his passing. RIP

My grandfather did the same and lied to get in. He never spoke about it, even when as kids and we asked him about how he won his medals, as much as we know is what the local paper said.

I've just finished reading "The last Tommy", the life of Harry Patch who died recently at the age of 111. A great read.

The Last Fighting Tommy: The Life of Harry Patch, the Only Surviving Veteran of the Trenches: Harry Patch, Richard Van Emden, Alan Howard: Books

Bless him....

I have just finished listening to an audio book called "the forgotten highlander", The suffering this man and his comrades suffered for 6 years at the hands of the Japanese is unimaginable. I truly believe that all young miscreants and layabouts should have to read books like this to realise just how lucky we all are.

I brought this back up to the top after listening to the morning news. Mr Buckles was given a full military burial with Honors at Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Virginia this morning. I learned that not only did he enlist in WWI at age 16, but he also served in WWII and was a POW for 39 months in the Philippines.
    Rest in Peace, Sir.~Muir

RIP~. Mr Frank Buckles his memory will live on.
    Your a long time dead, enjoy every day like it's your last!!!

RIP Mr Buckles, you earned and deserve it.