help picking right caliber for needs please

jay 22

hi guys me and my old man got a visit this Thursday from the Flo.

we put in for a 6mm slot which shouldn't be a problem as I'm sure the land will pass for 30 caliber.

now we only have Muntjac and roe on the land so don't really need to big a caliber. but as we would like to do some paid stalking. i guess it would be better to have a rifle more up to the job from the start if we go fallow stalking etc...

but with so much choice I'm a'bit stuck what to ask for.

25/06 6.5x55 270 or even the 308 :doh:

not only that as we wont be doing to much stalking to start with though i would like to think over time we could do A bit more often

do i buy a cheaper set up to use as and when i need. or buy something tasty and maybe have the choice of having one rifle with a couple of barrels so i can get rid of my rpa 22/250

hard choices. :eek: it dont help as i popped over to Wayne Davis house off here the other day to have a chat about different calibers. and on seeing the blaster rifle's he has. would be nice to see one in my cabinet :):D Ive seen a cracker in 6.5x55 with mounts and mod for very good money.

Last edited:
interchangeable barrels are nice to have and can be fun. i bought one with four barrels
but in hindsight it would probably have been better to try the calibres and bought the rifles I wanted.
You will end up buying separate scopes anyway as faffing around with zeroing every time is a pain.

join in the other 270 vs 308 thread for pro and cons!

Jay as all the ones mentioned will do for all the species of deer in the UK with the right bullet choice my suggestion is find the rifle that you like and are comfortable with and then look what calibre/chambering it is.

Of course if your Licensing folksa re as quick as ours then that wil not work as I cannot see you waiting 3-4 months to sort this............................. just a suggestion.. Oh yes I happen to have them all :D and on ticket for quarry too.

Jay as all the ones mentioned will do for all the species of deer in the UK with the right bullet choice my suggestion is find the rifle that you like and are comfortable with and then look what calibre/chambering it is.

Of course if your Licensing folksa re as quick as ours then that wil not work as I cannot see you waiting 3-4 months to sort this............................. just a suggestion.. Oh yes I happen to have them all :D and on ticket for quarry too.

i have had my ticket back in the past in a week when adding a rifle under west mercia. i think they have picked up a sudden rush so there is a tow month back log.

i think i really want a 25/06 thats the one i keep looking at. and the tikka m690 or 695 looks really nice. i havent handled one yet in that caliber though i have a m595 so no how well the actions are built. and smooth to use

Jay, the advice above is sound, I was advised the same thing in similar terms but a very experienced ex-infantry officer a few years back.

Basically he said, forget the calibre, buy the rifle. If you see a rifle you really like or that really suits you, in any common deer legal calibre - buy it.

well firearms officer was fine about it all. could have had a bigger caliber but this is the one we wanted. so if there are some nice rifles about for sale let me know guys.

Back