The knife arrived....photos

Brithunter

This morning in the post was the Sheffield made carbon steel knife I have been waiting for and I am pleased. The sheaf will be replaced with a custom leather one from the chap at the local Archery club but the one that came with it is usable:-

P3030089.jpg

I thnk I will remove the very tip of the clip point to make it slightly drop point to improve it in use.

P3030091.jpg

P3030092.jpg

There is a bit of file work to the back of the blade. The blade is 3/16" (0.190") thick and the knife itself weighs just over 6 ozs (190 Grammes) and yes I am pleased with it.

There are a couple of diferences to the Wade & Butcher "Boone" knife it replaces, that one had just straight file cuts across the back of the blade for grip and decoration not file work and the A. Wright's handle is slimmer and tapered to the pommel and made of the same stacked leather with brass and hard rubber? decoration just as I remember from the old Boy Scout days. Not sure which is the better shape handle will have to put the knife to use to see.

Anyway for £25 I am well pleased.

Of course for those into bespoke knives this will not really interest them however it seems that Wrights only have a very small workshop and workforce, Four workers I was told, so I wonder does it really deserve to be called a production knife? plus should this one go astray it's not the end of the world ;).

I think it looks like a "scout" knife from the 1960's and i wouldn't use it for stalking// impossible to sterilise and no slip guard.

Uncle Buck yes I am. It arrived with a usable edge for outdoor chores tasks such as I would have needed as a Boy Scout however the edge was a bit coarsly ground for my needs today so it was touched up on the oil stone and while I might not be able to shave with it it's perfectly sharp enough to gralloch a deer or two ;) Bearing in mind it's carbon steel and not stainless I polished the blade with some fine wax and buffed it off as a bit of protection.

The sheaf I will get the chap to make a very custom one that lays along the belt rather than hanging from it as I feel it will be easier to use and yet keep out of the way. We shall see how it goes.

Oh and funnily I saw a new old stock William Rodgers of Sheffield with similar blade shape but some rust spots on it at the Newark show and they wanted £40 for that one :rolleyes: an it was of thinner blade stock.

Good on you, best of luck with the new sheath, though i'm not so sure about wearing it along the belt (Tactical style).

My own preference, would be to go for the Dangler style sheath, but each to thier own eh.

Rgds, Buck. :thumb:

I think it looks like a "scout" knife from the 1960's and i wouldn't use it for stalking// impossible to sterilise and no slip guard.

:old: It's funny how plain carbon steel was used for such use and in kitchens and yet people didn't drop dead of food poisoning.

Now please enlighten me as to what a slip guard is?

Checking my other knives it would appear that perhaps only one would meet your critea as it has a bonded synthetic handle:-

BokerArbolito.jpg

As whether it has the slip gurad?

As for it being of the Scouts Knife type.................. of course it is :rolleyes: it's of traditional Sheffield knife and style and yes I SHALL BE USING IT FOR STALKING :D.

Good on you, best of luck with the new sheath, though i'm not so sure about wearing it along the belt (Tactical style).

My own preference, would be to go for the Dangler style sheath, but each to thier own eh.

Rgds, Buck. :thumb:

Hmmm Tactical style :-| Hmmm I must be out of the loop as I was unaware this was the case.

As to the Dangler style I know the type you mean as my old Fiskar filleting knife has such a sheath. I will give it some thought.

Now Offroad Gary,

nobodys going to nick that one!

I do hope so. I did in fact used the Stolen Wade & Butcher for stalking which is why I wanted a new usable sheath for it. I have been looking for a replacement for about 5 years now and have not come across another un-mutilated or ground down "Boone" knife for sale and those I did see were selling for between £50 and £120.

I shall explain.... it will be impossible to sterilise a laminated and porous wood handle and when your hands are wet with blood and guts a slip guard is a MUST to prevent a cut from slipping off the handle and onto the blade... basic stuff really!

Ok so what does one call the brass bit hanging down:-

P3030091.jpg

here?

Looking at my other knives by Boker and Frost Cuttlery none of them have a slip guard either. neither does the Buck Cross-Lock. Touch wood I have never slipped onto the blade.......................... YET!. But then I had never slipped and cut myself until last year when the knife slipped and I stabbed the point into the back of my left hand which required hospital treatment. In fact it caused quite a stir.... I think t was about seven or eight doctors came to look at the would as despite what the government and media say they had not seen a stab wound in the flesh so to speak so I became a teaching aid :rolleyes:.

Funny thing is I watched a tv doc on what chopping board held the most germs after cleaning, now I would have thought wood, nope the nylon plastic type! Saw the results and the amount of re-generated germs on the plastic was more than twice wood, so must be something in why the old butchers wooden block is still used today.

Bod

Hmmm I seem to recall that Beech wood actually has something in it which suppresses the growth of bacteria. Probably why the Butchers block is wood. Don't they use Beech for those? I have a Beech chopping block for the Kitchen and have had so for many years. Our bread board is also wood and some 58 years old.

RED-DOT,

Perhaps it would be helpful if you can post a photo or link to such a slip guard equipped knife?

Knives are a personal thing. What feels and looks right to one, is horrible to another.
Personally i love my Fallkniven F1, but my stalking partner hates it. He prefers a bowie type knife.

Ok so what does one call the brass bit hanging down:-

a Quillon, its there to stop your leading finger slipping onto the cutting edge :D

Thank you Kenny, I was trying to remember the word and could not for the life of me. Now you mention it of course the very early Lee Enfield bayonets had Hooked Quillions ........................... :banghead: :doh: it must be "Old Timers" disease:old:.

Strange ,I've had my stalking knife for 35 years and it has no Quillion. I've opened up one or two fat fallow over the years with it. Never cut my self yet. I use a Mora knife at work and wear out one a month as do 15 others , now these don't have a quillion either. In six years no one has ever cut them selves. Quillions sound like more B0ll0x. must say its not my sort of knife but i do like a knife with a leather stacked handle.

I shall explain.... it will be impossible to sterilise a laminated and porous wood handle and when your hands are wet with blood and guts a slip guard is a MUST to prevent a cut from slipping off the handle and onto the blade... basic stuff really!

well come on , i think from previous emails brithunter and i have exchanged , he only shoots for his own consumption and therefore who gives a monkeys what knife he uses as long as it does the job !

i personally use brusletto knives from norway that are disenfectable but the scabbard is leather , custom made for me by a good friend of mine and i shoot 100 plus deer a year !

no one has ever quized me about what knife i used . my first stalkng knive was a opinel knife and i used it for many years!

P1020830.jpg
[/IMG]

P1020831.jpg
[/IMG]

cheers lee

Back