sako 75 / 85 OR mauser m03

mo

hi guys, your thoughts on the above two rifles please, I am in the market for a new one, narrowed it down the above but cant make up my mind on which to go for. Any info would be great. All the best, Mo

Two cracking rifles, and very little between them.

Mauser is a top make, but personally I prefer Sako for a stalking weapon. Also, I really don't like Mauser's manual cocking system, I am safe enough without such annoying "features".

just gone through this process 3 months ago....went for the sako 85 and i'm very impressed with its performance and quality.

The Mauser is very well made, but heavy and overly complicated.

For a practical stalking tool for the UK, the Sako is hard to improve upon.

thanks for the input, Claret I handled the mauser at the Newark show, I was impressed with the build quality but also thought the manual cocking feature was slightly complicated. I may go for the sako now.

Mo,

I have both. MO3 is 300gm heavier than Sako 85. If you are going to do any travelling then the MO3 is the one to go for. It's also easier if you want additional calibres as you have the same feel and handling when you change.

I prefer the Mauser safety to the Sako as there is zero chance of it ever being knocked off in undergrowth. You quickly get used to it.

Stan

I'm looking at the Mauser M03 Extreme at the moment, handled one the other day and didn't find the cocking lever to be complicated/difficult, I also like the idea that you can switch barrels.

I've tried the Sako 85 and it was a fine rifle, but from what I've read on the forums apparently the 75 was of a better build quality than the newer 85, just what I've heard/read!

I don't know where people get the idea that the Sako 75 is better than the 85 from because I have shot both and currently have a 85. There is no difference in quality and very little difference in the rifles.

My problem with the Mauser is that it feels a bit "clubby" in the smaller calibres.

Like all switch barrels the same stock must serve on calibres from .223 to a 338/375 and hence is usally a bit of a compromise at end a little off in the middle. This is merely my personal view but having shot a Blaser with a .45 blaser barrel and a mauser in .223 I have come to conclusion that compromise is not something I like in my hunting rifles.

I don't think there is much in it from a build quality point of view.

I don't know where people get the idea that the Sako 75 is better than the 85 from because I have shot both and currently have a 85. There is no difference in quality and very little difference in the rifles.

I've got two 85's, a 75, a Finnfire and had a TRG-S and a Finnbear before these. There is no difference in quality between the 75 and the 85. I would be amazed if anyone who bought a Sako of any description was unsatisfied with it. JC

Mo,

I narrowed my choice of a 7mm Rem Mag down to either a Sako 85 stainless synthetic of Mauser M03 extreme. I already have an 85 in 6.5 x 55 and I handled an M03 (didn't shoot one).

I thought the M03 was very well built and I would be proud to own one. However, it was over £500 more than the Sako. I think at least some of that cost must go into the additional engineering required to allow interchangable barrels. I didn't think I would ever want to swap barrels, so I ordered a Sako.

I like Sakos but ordering one in 7mm Rem Mag is not without inconvienience. The rifle is a special order from GMK and will take up to six months to arrive. In addition, its not possible to order one with the longer barrel (which I want to get the best out of the cartridge) and screw cutting. If I wanted it screw cut at the factory I'd have to have the shorter barrel. I'll get it done in the UK whenever it arrives.

All the best with it.

Cheers,

Bob

i have just bought a second hand mo3 and i am very impressed with the build quality and the accuracy... i am a fan of the maual cocking system so the mauser/blaser type rifles would be my first choice.

steve

Mo
I sold an excellent Sako 85 to buy an M03 in walnut. Have absolutely no regrets. I like the extra weight, and love the infallible, reliable manual cocking. M03 build quality surpasses that of the excellent Sako. Most of all I bought it as my only rifle - constant, comfortable familiarity no matter what the calibre. Using a scope with target turrets that allows me to dial in any load for any barrel. That means one scope covers all calibres - big cost saving as well as maintaining that old familiarity. Suits me wonderfully.
Cheers
Eavesflat

some very intrested replies. seems like they are both as good as eachother? now then, which one to buy!? I have a slot for 243 and .270m might just f***k it and buy both! :lol:

I think you'd be pleased with either. I have a Sako 75 and absolutely love the smooth action, trigger and acuracy.

As Blitzking says I think that you would be happy with either rifle. I have a couple of Sako 75's but have also handled a mates Mauser M03 synthetic, which is also a nice rifle. My plus points for the Sakos are action lengths to suit cartridge and probably the best detachable magazine on any sporting rifle. The switch barrel thing is a bonus of the Mauser but you can still only shoot with one barrel at a time ;). If it were me I'd be looking at the 85 stainless synth or Finnlight.
Regards Toby

Sako 75 or 85 or Mauser M03

Hi Guys's,

Finally got the 'puter rebuilt and upgraded.........seems fine?
I certainly do not wish to dwell or indeed stray from the posters original question. What does seem to be a little bit of a contentious issue is the what Sako is "Best" therefore I'm just going to state my opinion for whatever that's worth.

My most recent acquisition is indeed a Sako 85 varmint laminated stainless in .223. Now I started looking for a quality used 75 in the same back in the spring of last year and never found a decent one (Opinions on whats done very little work seems to vary.....a little!) anyway, I'd read opinions on the 85 and listened to what "experts" had to say about them but I bought one anyway.

Now I have 3 other Sako rifles,a 75 De-lux in .308 and a 75 Synthetic Stainless in .243 and a P94S also. I'm not an engineer so I can only comment on what I both see and feel on the rifles, and obviously they're different models so obviously feel very different, but the differences between the 75's and the 85 in terms of quality and finish, probably, the 85 has the edge over the stainless synthetic.

All of them are incredibly accurate and a real pleasure to shoot! Now I know the recoil lug system is one of the major differences between the two, but better or worse? who knows? certainly not me. If however, I were able to make one change on the 85 it would be the lack of palm swell that's missing.

As for the Mauser M03, cracking bit of kit! only used one once or twice at Bisley but, as you've gathered I'm a Sako fan......75 and 85.

Atb,
mickey308

If you travel by air then a breakdown rifle is best. Travelling with a PELI that doesn't fit into a taxi.......

If you have a need for multiple calibres and really only want to invest in one top notch OPTIC, then a breakdown is best.

If you want multiple calibres with different OPTICs then "solid" rifles are better.

I have MO3 with two stocks ( Walnut & Extreme) and four barrels plus a Sako 85.

If I had to only retain one then it would be the MO3 Extreme.

Stan

8x57, So the blurb Sako gave out about the "controlled feed" etc. etc. was just marketing then? :)

I have a 75 which I believe has a much better profiled stock than the 85, but there again I am a right handed shooter and the 85 is sinister friendly.

Simon

Back