sako

never shot a 85 so cant really comment. i hear some people prefer the 75 model more which i have shot and its very good. what you got to look at is it's a sako you only have to look at there older model's also to see they know how to make good rifles. i dont think your go far wrong with any of there rifles mate.

have you seen a sako 85 you like ? if you have and its a good price then snap it up.

the only thing i got against sako rifles being a lefthanded shooter is there stocks are not left hand friendly :-| i think they should make there rifles ambi stock

Hi Jacob,

First of all I'd be grateful if you could read through the sections and post your questions in the right place rather than offloading them all into General - it saves me having to move them all!

Back to business... depends what you want the rifle for.

I have two Sako 85's and I rate them as stalking rifles. Accurate out the box, reliable, well made, does what it says on the tin really. Ignore things you might have read about the 85 being under-engineered compared to the 75. What they mean is that it is lighter and therefore less metal, but it is well engineered in my opinion.

If you want to buy a rifle you can depend on without wanting to tinker about with it I think the Sako 85 is a good choice. If you want to go down the customising route then Sako isn't perhaps as catered for as other makes like Remmy etc but then I put that down to Sako owners being happy with their rifles the way they are. ;)

Alex

The Sako 85 is a great stalking rifle. Shoots all factory ammo I've tried very well and seems a little less fussy than others with reloads too. I've had mine for just over a year now and I haven't regretted it once!

Hope that helps.

DC

X3 for the sako 85 it very accurate out of the box and can't fault it. Its the rifle that comes out of the cabinet every time I reach to grab a rifle to go stalking with. Rifle will happily put bullets on top of each other at 200yrds.

Jason

There is a Sako 85 synthetic .308 for sale on the forum I believe, should be a good choice. I have a 75 and think it's a truly wondering rifle, and I'm sure the 85 is equally good, albeit a bit more modernised.

I have x2 75's and they shoot great.
My clients come with 75's and 85's and I've never seen one of either shoot badly.
Great barrels, great stocks especially the 75 synthetic, and good triggers out of the box, what more would you want.

These 2 were impressed by the 85's capabilities yesterday :thumb:
Had my .243 for around 3 years now.

roedoes.jpg

Ive got a sako 85 finnlight and love it,Ive never had home loads through it though,I use sako 90gr factory rounds im quite happy to stick with this combination.Also i have a Tikka in .222 and i cant fault that aswell.
Atb John.

Anyone who says the Sako 75 is better than the Sako 85 is talking out of their ass. There is nothing really between them, they both suffer a loose bolt compared to a custom action but that said this is purely cosmetic. Highly accurate rifles good trigger and nice factory stocks that need no bedding. Also its the ONLY rifle you can buy in the UK that is actually the correct price vs the USD and the Euro, but it is expensive.

Minor niggles apart, I've never heard anything but praise for the Sako rifles 75 or 85, having regard to their cost.

I had a 85 stainless synthetic in 30-06, I kept it for 2 months then traded it in due to the stock not being up to the standard that it should be, (compared to Sako 75 synthetic stock) I have recently purchased a 85 in .375 H&H with a wooden stock, its a peach, so much so that I have another 85 on order (Stainless laminated) My personal opinion is to avoid the synthetic stock.

Ive got an 85 stainless laminated lovely rifle to shoot but when you strap everything on it becomes bloody heavy.atb paul

I have 3 sako 75s and I also have had a Nesika custom and a Borden custom rifle. I still keep going back to the 75. I think the 75 and 85 are great rifles and they all shoot well. The full custom rifles are very nice smooth actions and also the jewell triggers are one of the best, but they do not always shoot better and the outlay for a custom rifle and the depreciation is a joke if you come to sell it! Sakos hold their price much better!

Back