scope mounts

depends what rifle you have, what scope you have once you sort that out then you get the right mounts to suite.

Ok as your new see scope thread ....................... for scope mounts forget the fashionable tacticool and vertically split jobbies. I would personally avoid the air rifle based Sportsmatch too but hey it's your money. To my mind the best mounts are Apel or Reckengle but be aware they are going to cost a tidy sum. Personally I will not use Millet as they are cheaply made, well the ones I had were :mad:. It will depend upon your budget in the end.

I use Third eye tactical rings and rail, both being top quality. I havn't seen anything in the shops that look as solid and well finished as these mounts.

regards
simon

Brithunter
It may have tactical in the name but it isnt TACTICOOL as you like to call it, just well made equipment from a yorkshire stalker.
regards
simon

I would suggest that anyone asking for advice on this or similar topics should supply a little more detail. This has already been asked for in some responses, I think.

There is a great deal of expertise on this site, and we can all benefit from it. I'll still be discovering something new on shooting every day until the final summons.

This topic is a wide subject, and needs more facts like rifle type/calibre/'scope size and type/ intended use .... and so on. If a questioner includes these the answers might be more relevant and helpful to them.

I would suggest Talley mounts. They will do them in various ring sizes and heights. Callum Ferguson at Precision Rifle Services uses and recommends them on his custom rifles. I currently have them on a .243AI and most of my mates also use them now. Cheaper than Apel and every bit as good IMO.

Brithunter
It may have tactical in the name but it isnt TACTICOOL as you like to call it, just well made equipment from a yorkshire stalker.
regards
simon

Simon,

Have you not noticed all the drab black and green, placcy stocks, heavy barrels and massive chunky angular mounts and rail holfing a scope with hugmongous turrets and all the extra dials and frills as seen in Hollywood and TV on all the action and cop shows.

It fashionable and cool to have such things it seems :rolleyes: however I prefer more traditional mounts and I dislike the vertically split ones as they are horrible to set up and take at least twice as long to get the reticle level due to the way they twist the scope on tightening. I am quite happy for you if you like them ;) in fact it does not effect me at all if you like them or agree with me.

To my mind we do not need such stuff and yes I have brought and played with a few such scopes and even have one set up in those horrid vertically split mounts. The scope is a 7.5x56 CSS menace with Mil-dot reticle and to be honest it's cluttered and far too fine to be of any use in stalking so I plonked it onto the HB Varmint rifle for range use. I find to use it in the field you spand more time farting about wiht the focuse dial getting a clear view than shooting. The FOV is not up to much either and trying it off hand it's horrible. The older 7x50 Meopta of the cheap 8x56 with duplex reticle are far superior for off hand field use.

No they put these fills on to catch the punters not actually to help us in the field. So simple is good especially for a beginner :D IMHO.

Not all that glitters is gold BH,meant it in the best possible taste got apels on my sauer and if i could would have them on my sako too,oneday the optilocks might have to go,those warnes sound nice though.:lol:

Back