Translation please?

captdavid

I know we all speak English, but what are 'slots and tracks' and 'chipper and coffee?' I do know what coffee is. It replaced tea in America around the mid 1770s, hehe!:D capt david

OK. slots and tracks, slots is the hoofprint track is the footpath usually taken by the deer. Chipper and coffee I expect is a missprint. It should be chippie and coffee where it is fish and frnch fries and a cuppa. Chipper is " in a happy state of mind or a wood shredder:D

You got me beat with chipper and coffee, perhaps it would help if you gave the context.

Others that you might need to know are Pins (Deer hairs) and Paint (Blood).

i'd be more concerned with the different meaning for the words: Pants (to you trousers, to us underwear) or suspenders (to you, the things that hold up your 'pants' to us an item of womens underwear used to hold up Stockings) Having read some of the previous posts by some members on here, if you were stalking with them and passed a comment that your suspenders were digging in, well a missunderstanding like that could spell disaster.

Ezzy

Aaaaagh suzzies those were the days they definitely got me a chipper on and i had to get it slotted quick then had to get a coffee to recover.

The term Coffee refers to a regular meeting place of deer as in Coffee house today were individuals meet up for a talk and exchange views

Slots are individual marks made by the animals cleaves

Tracks are were an animal regular walks leaving a defined worn trail on the ground
Never heard of chipper etc in the above context
Hope this helps
Stu

Last edited:
Chips are Chips and French fries a poor copy of them :D. Oh yes chips are cut from whole potatoes and not mashed up then squeezed through a plate to make them all the same size ala Macdonalds :rolleyes:.

Chippie in this context is a place that sells and serves chips most often a fish and chip shop or resturant. However in anoth context a chippie is a carpenter ............................. is English not a wonderful language :rofl:.

i'd be more concerned with the different meaning for the words: Pants (to you trousers, to us underwear) or suspenders (to you, the things that hold up your 'pants' to us an item of womens underwear used to hold up Stockings) Having read some of the previous posts by some members on here, if you were stalking with them and passed a comment that your suspenders were digging in, well a missunderstanding like that could spell disaster.

Ezzy

not to mention the whole Fanny thing, you will be sitting on your arse, Bum, rear end even your but, if you start talking about Fanny packs instead of Bum Bags and you will get some strange re actions i am sure ;):D

I got some quite strange looks when I was getting my morning suit fitted for my wedding at a nice tailors,,and added, "oh, of course I'll need a pair of black suspenders as well"...the poor guys working there nearly dropped their jaws on the floor, esp. since I don't have a US accent, just happens I grew up exposed predominantly to US terminology...

..oh, and giving someone's wife a 'pat on the fanny' is not a smart thing to say here in the UK...:rofl:

The brother in law , another bumpkin , worked in the U.S for a while combining , strides into a local store and says "owdo got any fags" At least he didnt ask his work mates if he coul bum a fag :D

My wife asked an american friend to "knock her up in the morning"

edit, for our colonial friends, it means knock on the door to wake me, not ......

Last edited:
Chips are Chips and French fries a poor copy of them :D. Oh yes chips are cut from whole potatoes and not mashed up then squeezed through a plate to make them all the same size ala Macdonalds :rolleyes:.

Chippie in this context is a place that sells and serves chips most often a fish and chip shop or resturant. However in anoth context a chippie is a carpenter ............................. is English not a wonderful language :rofl:.

Actually carpenter is a French word the English equivalent is Wright as in shipwright or wheelwright.:doh:

i worked for a while in California as a ski instructor back in 2000 i remember when i first said to someone after a few hours in my new local bar "im just gonna pop out and smoke a fag" half of the room cheered and the other half looked at me like i had just run their grandmother over. how was i to know that "smoking a fag" was defined as "shooting a gay man"!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::lol:

i worked for a while in California as a ski instructor back in 2000 i remember when i first said to someone after a few hours in my new local bar "im just gonna pop out and smoke a fag" half of the room cheered and the other half looked at me like i had just run their grandmother over. how was i to know that "smoking a fag" was defined as "shooting a gay man"!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::lol:

...and it's not exactly something you randomly decide to do when you're bored at the pub!

Back