Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did I flinch? (Video)

Did I flinch? (Video)

I'm stalking Munty in the near future with a very good mate of mine, but I just need to become better acquainted with the .222 before attempting to hunt a deer.

Do I flinch on the shot? I can't make it out. I can group sub 2 inches at 100 yards, however my shots are drifting to the left and I'm not sure if a flinch is causing this.

Thanks everyone

Never looked at your vid Josh but no way should you be flinching with a .222,no recoil whatsoever with them,so just relax an squeeze the trigger

Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site:
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Your bum is too far forward. Your triangulation looks uncomfortable. You should be firmly ballenced then mount the rifle. It appears you are leaning back to counter the spring in the high legs. Thus your whole body is reting on one cheek. Looking at the angle would a prone shot not have been a better option?

looked at the vid and you did not look comfortable pulling the trigger mate i would say YES U DID

Following up on jimbo's comments. Can I suggest you turn your body so that your left shoulder is much closer to the scope? Don't face the target. Secondly each elbow should be locked into each knee. Try getting yourself into a comfortable stable position ignoring the target and then shuffle round until the rifle is pointing at the target. Also adjust the bipod legs so that you aren't straining to get the target in your sights. Think about your breathing as well. Don't try and hold on the target, but get in a position so that your breathing is taking you through the target.

It's topical as I was getting a lecture on this yesterday lunchtime and at the minute it's my worst performing position. The guys I watch who do this well, look like they have wrapped themselves round the rear of the rifle.

Final point to think about, your point of impact may be different from what you get when shooting prone with the bipod fully collapsed.

Regards JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 06-03-2011 at 23:38. Reason: more info.

you dont look comfortable with that shot, given time and plenty of practice you will get there we all had to learn good luck and safe huntin!!!!!!!!

That's a yes from me, you didn't appear comfortable and you seemed to snatch the trigger, which may account more for your pulled shots (not drifted).
    Try, at a gentle pace, 1-2-3 'BANG', 1-2-3-BANG - should help with flinching (you may also call it anticipating the shot).
    BTW of course there is soome recoil with .222! When using your triangulation of knees and elbows, try and avoid bone-on-bone contact - prevents 'bounce' and of course more comfortable.
    Would agree with position comments above, less the prone point (you would be tipping downhill as far as I can tell if prone) and also that your bipod looks a fraction too high.
    Nice vid though and very mature to share it; we all need a steer, and for you they are just tweaks.
    Good luck!
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

Try this:
    You will need a mate to give you a hand you stay in position and your mate loads the rifle you shut your eyes so you cant see whether or not he has loaded the rifle or left the chamber empty. When you unexpectedly squeeze the trigger on an empty chamber you will know whether or not you have a flinch.
    After you have established you have a flinch take a shot at a target you are not interested in where the round goes all you should be thinking about at this point is the sensation of the recoil and how little of it there is.
    After that concentrate on squeezing the trigger and releasing the trigger smoothly and cleanly. You should do this intermittently with your mate loading the gun for you to see if the flinch is going away.

Good luck

Having looked at vid now,you are far from stable there,your right arm needs to be leaning on your knee,bipod needs adjusting down and you are not leaning into the rifle,you are leaning away from it
    A very unstable shooting position,I would agree with JCS
    Practice makes perfect too,no. 1 rule is get comfy and don't fire until you are totally confident that crosshair is where you want it
    Your breathing correctly will help too,the rifle is just an extension of you,ie if your not comfy neither will your rifle be,ATB

or find us on facebook

Rick,compared to a .270 or a 30.06 a .222 has NO recoil
    BTW Rick the recoil on that gun with the mod on kicked back rather than up,ATB
    Last edited by Wolverine; 07-03-2011 at 00:40.

or find us on facebook