hornet

chay

hi there i have a bsa hunter 22 hornet and am looking to reload i have read in a few places that hodgons lil gun is good does anyone have their own experiences to narrow down my lists of trials with powders heads primers etc

thanks
chay

hi there i have a bsa hunter 22 hornet and am looking to reload i have read in a few places that hodgons lil gun is good does anyone have their own experiences to narrow down my lists of trials with powders heads primers etc

thanks
chay

Chay I cannot help with loading info having never worked with the Hornet ................... sorry but may I say nice rifle :D Photos of it would be most appreciated.

yeah will put pics up i pick gun up tommorow it was a pile of scrap but inside barrel looked good its been re blued stock re done and looks mint if it fires as well
as it looks should be bang on waited a long time to come up with one hope it was worth the wait

If you do a search under 22 Hornet you'll find great discussion on the Hornet and Lil Gun. I shoot a BUNCH of Hornet at varmints (prairiedogs, mostly) and believe Lil Gun to be the best powder ever used in the case based on my experiences shooting Hornet for almost 40 years.~Muir

I thought I had found a Hunter, mine is in .222 Remington, but it turns out it's a Regent:-

PICT0075.jpg

PICT0079.jpg

and it shoots well.

I hope yours does too. These have cut rifled barrels that were then lapped. That's the way BSA made them then.

Hi Chay,

I use nothing but lil gun for my hornet and I must say its fantastic, spectacular results!!!!!!

As Muir says try a search on "Hornet" there have been a couple of excellent threads on this recently.

Regards

Ads

Oh happiness. I got out with my CZ Hornet today to do my zero check before hitting the prairiedog towns. Weather is warming and whenever the temps hang over 20F the dogs come out. This weekend should be the combination of sunny weather & decreased snow levels that should allow me access to my favorite dog towns.

Anyhow, I took the CZ out and fired three shots using a Mid South 34 grain "Varmint Nightmare" over a case full of Lil Gun. The OAL was 1.740", not the 1.725" I have written in the past. (That is for the 33 grain TNT HP.)

This was my group. All I did was come up 1 click on my S&B. I think I'm ready.~Muir
marchhornet.jpg

Not tried Lill gun yet, but 11 grains of H110 under a 35 grain V-max is working fine for me so far :thumb:

The OAL was 1.740", not the 1.725" I have written in the past.~Muir

Do they feed from the CZ mag at length ok, or are you single loading ?

Neil. :)

yes plus 1 for 11grns of h110 and 35grn v max ,but i am working on a load with 34 grn midway hp and h110 atb steve

I'll ad a +1 to the 11 grains of H-110. It's another one of those loads that seem to shoot very well from most Hornets.
H-110groupsred.jpg

Note the ten shot, 100M group on the right.

Hornet6: Yes, these feed quite well from the magazine.

Steve: You are one of the few people I've met that shoot this bullet from a Hornet. The bullet I used in this group (Varmint Nightmare) is the same bullet as the Midway 34 grain Dog Town Hp just marketed under a different name. These are rumored to be made by Calhoun Bullets in Montana but i can't confirm it. How do you like the performance on game?? I shoot rabbits and prairiedogs with them and they work wonderfully. Here, they are very inexpensive. About $98/1000. I bought 2500 of them when bullet prices got so high, saving the last 1000 of my Hornady V-Max 35 grain bullets for my son. Glad to see someone else is using them.~Muir

Last edited:
10.5 grains 110 under a 40 grain nosler BT for me! 11.2 under a 35vmax is good but not quite as accurate in mine, 12.1 under a 30 grain berger HP is showing promise accuracy wise but I'm wary of whether they'll penetrate enough on foxes. Squirrels die though!

Hares do too ! This poor Hare was taken at about 120 yds with a Hornady 35g v-max and 13g of lilgun ! Picture 1450.jpg

Yeah, excellent gun the CZ ! It's just a shame it can't handle the 50 grain bullets that work well on foxes like the Ruger does, apparently the SPSX is devastating on foxes !

Have a look at YouTube - Ruger 77/22 Hornet Load Test + Fox Shoot ! Quite interesting !!

Yeah, excellent gun the CZ ! It's just a shame it can't handle the 50 grain bullets that work well on foxes like the Ruger does, apparently the SPSX is devastating on foxes !

What are foxes made of there that won't be killed with a 40 grain bullet that kills our 40 pound coyotes??:eek:~Muir

Back