Roe ears?

captdavid

About what is the length of a Roe's ears? I'd like to know to be able to somewhat judge the length of Antlers? thanks, capt david

I just exhumed this youngish buck from my freezer, hopefully it'll give a guide...

roe buck 002.jpg

As an old girl friend said once, length is nice, girth is better, but the two together make me very happy...

I dont think she ever went deer stalking??:doh:

I agree its about the thickness and how dence the bone is this creates weight and in roe that is normally the over riding factor of what it will make medal wise. But may i say if you are going out with a pro when here he should be able to give you an educated guess on the spot and if he is wrong then its his loss.;)

About what is the length of a Roe's ears? I'd like to know to be able to somewhat judge the length of Antlers? thanks, capt david

Roes ears are around 6" long as a guide. As stated with roe heads its not just in the length but more on weight/volume etc.

Roe ears vary in length, sometimes you have long ones and sometimes surprisingly short ones. As a rule of thumb if you are looking at a buck that has antlers more than twice ear height, then you are looking at a very good one! Another good indicator is what the antlers look like when the buck is walking away from you. That view give you the best look at the main beams, if they have good mass and bulk then you are also looking at a good buck.
Finally the best bet as always is to go out and shoot a few, then gain your experience by comparing your view and assessment of the antlers "on the hoof" with the antlers in the hand.

Good luck

Lakey

Back