Calling Muntjac

WAYNE DAVIES

Distinguished Member
I know calling Muntjac has been covered before on here but I was wondering if anyone had ever called one across open ground like this one???

I was out by home on Tuesday night looking for a Roe when I saw a Muntjac doe the other side of the valley (and brook).
I was happy sat the other side and decided to stay where I was. A few minutes later after the doe had gone back into the wood a buck appeared in the field where the doe had been, he was questing around as if he was looking for her.
I decided to see if I could get over the brook which was fenced and very overgrown, when I got there I couldn't get over quietly so I decided to try the buttalo to see if I got a reaction, a couple squeaks later he had covered 100+ yards and stood broadside which put him into my comfort zone off the sticks :D
As you can see from the photo the buck was under the wood when I saw him and he covered a lot of bare ground.
DSC00609.jpg

Has anyone ever had a Munty come to a call over this much open ground ?????

Wayne

Wayne,

i've been watching the same (i think) buck on a few occasions recently from a high seat on my permission. i'd been saving him for later in the year when he's shed his velvet, but my finger is getting itchy :evil: i might give him a go on the call next time i see him (it might be tonight :evil: :evil: ). the field i'm in is boundaried on one side by roe/munty rich land which is not mine, so even if he doesnt come there might be a chance visit by something with more points ;) and there are cubs there too :lol: 85gn hollow points tonight for me :p

dont forget your camera for hampshire ;)

Gary

Hi Gary
Good luck tonight, I've mostly got my camera with me just not very good at remembering to take a photo before I've chopped the head and legs off :rolleyes:

Wayne

Hi Wayne
thanks for posting this up mate :D I have called Muntjac Bucks on quite a few occasions & some people take the P*ss out of me & say it never works :eek: I have only managed to call 1 Buck across an open field tho ( Take a look at my pics of my local ground in the Landscape section) Its the second pic & the buck crossed the open field from the wood on the left & charged straight across the field to stop 20 yards in front of me on the right hand wood :eek:
Others i have called have only run 30 or so yards out from cover then stopped.
He looks a nice little buck you got there mate.
Nick

hi wayne,
we were out last week end,i was sat in one highseat and apollo in another, i managed to get five muntjac all at once on the ride when useing a roe call, it was in the wood not an open field though,
we both managed too miss a roe buck :oops: :oops: it happens to us all.
by the way thay were all doe muntjac thats why i did not shoot any.
atb.anthony. ;)

I went to my permission last night, i felt a bit of a pillock standing there calling "muntjac, muntjac" Strangely enough, none came. Then i remembered, there aint none here!! :lol:
basil.

Hi Nick
If your stalking mates are anything like mine I can't believe they would take the p**s :D
Looks like it wasn't a one off then might try it again.
He was only a little chap, I shot a big old boy a week or so before on this farm, shame to have shot him in velvet but its a fruit farm and they are doing the damage now so got to shoot a few.

Wayne

Roverman
Apollo told me you boys never miss ;)
I missed a buck on Saturday night only got a chance of a neck shot in a patch of wheat called him in so far and he lost interest and started going back to the doe he was with, I stopped him with the call shot and missed but the dozy little bugger just stood there looking at the strike, I didn't miss him the second time ;)

Wayne

hi wayne,
we went back to the same wood this weekend.but we did not get a shot off.
seen a few but they would not give us the shot,apollo keeps saying he cant wait for the winter,he dont like all the cover around this time of the year and our pigs normally turn up in september. happy days thats all i can say.

regards anthony.

Was out in the Hertfordshire woods on Sunday evening, walking with my wife. It was very hot and stuffy, with almost no wind.

I happened to have a Buttolo call with me and tried a few squeaks, not really expecting any result.

Was therefore astounded to see not one but two munties steaming towards us, moving with great urgency and determination - a doe, followed by a buck. The buck was an absolute monster - still in velvet, but with antlers like bananas.

I'm guessing that the doe was in heat and the buck was determined not to let her get away or to allow an interloper to seduce her.

Neither my wife nor I were wearing camo or even trying to conceal ourselves, but the deer came within about 10m before taking fright and bounding off, barking like terriers.

We could hear their hooves striking the dry ground, sounding like horses - it's strange that munties have such a heavy tread for such small animals: not dainty at all!

I was cock-a-hoop at my success - now I feel like a real hunter, able to summon deer at will!

James

HI Wayne,

I called a Doe a simular distance last week with a client.
He was hoping for his first Muntjac I got him into a good position and he set up prone.
As the doe turned broadside he squeezed and missed her clean reloaded and missed again as she was frozen to the spot.

She took of into the woods and I called her back into the edge of the wood and across the field telling the client to wait until I said. She had got to within 50m and turned nicely broadside. I calmed the client and said if he was confident to take the shot.

The doe dropped on the spot so a happy stalker with his first ever Muntjac. After the gralloch we stopped off at the range for him to check his zero all was fine so I think it was just a case of Doe Feaver

hi at the latest suffolk N.G.O. deer branch meet we had a speaker who was speaking all about calling munjac in using a buttolo call,he said he has regularly called in bucks and does just by standing with his back to a tree and giving a few quiet squeaks,the deer instead of creeping quietly through the undergrowth come crashing through to within about 30 yards,he said you can here them comingat speed .

Cheers for your replies chaps I had forgot about this thread.

I've had a lot more success this year with my calling held a few bumped while stalking held long enough for a shot and called a few in, most have come sneaking in but I had a doe with a fawn at foot come flying in one evening.

Cheers Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Can I ask how do you call them using the buttolo? I have never really had that much success? Do you do single peeps, or multiples, if so how many?

If it would be easier for me to call you, I will call whenever is good for you and you can play it down the phone if that's OK? I must be doing something wrong.

Cheers

Ross

hi the guy doing the calling demo said do three fairly soft squeaks then wait a while repeat if needed ,you will need to hold the call around thigh to knee height if stood up,hope this helps

Cheers Keith. I normally sit on the floor or on a chair as there are no suitable trees for a highseat in my favourite place so the height won't be a problem. Cheers for the tip.

Where can I see this demo? Is it a youtube thing?

Cheers

Ross

Was out in the Hertfordshire woods on Sunday evening, walking with my wife. It was very hot and stuffy, with almost no wind.

I happened to have a Buttolo call with me and tried a few squeaks, not really expecting any result.

Was therefore astounded to see not one but two munties steaming towards us, moving with great urgency and determination - a doe, followed by a buck. The buck was an absolute monster - still in velvet, but with antlers like bananas.

I'm guessing that the doe was in heat and the buck was determined not to let her get away or to allow an interloper to seduce her.

Neither my wife nor I were wearing camo or even trying to conceal ourselves, but the deer came within about 10m before taking fright and bounding off, barking like terriers.

We could hear their hooves striking the dry ground, sounding like horses - it's strange that munties have such a heavy tread for such small animals: not dainty at all!

I was cock-a-hoop at my success - now I feel like a real hunter, able to summon deer at will!

James

Hi did exactly the same thing when walking the dog only to be almost run down by a fast moving munti doe coming in to about 5m of me. The dog is a lurcher so had to hold on tight!!!

hi the guys name who did the callig demo at the N G O evening was Roger Jones ,there is an article covering it in this weeks shooting times,

Hi Ross
I use a series of small peeps probably about six in time with your breathing and then repeat after a few minutes, I have called a buck with more aggressive calling ( fawn distress ) but it doesnt to be an exact science,the doe I called last I had a long time to watch her and she frooze inbeteen calls and stamped her foot only coming closer when I called again. We eventully shot her out of the seat at about 10 yards.

Wayne

Reading this thread with interest as I have tried the odd call now and then when out, hoping to see if Muntjac come in. If all goes well I will be back out after one next week.

Does anyone know when Muntjac Bucks cast antlers?

Back