DSC1 Question-safe distance?

Triggermortis

Hi Guys, for the purposes of the DSC1 course, what distance will a deer legal calibre bullet travel if it doesn't have a safe backstop to catch it?
The potential answers are as follows -
500-1000m
3500-5000m
5500-6000m
10,000m
The first is obviously out as i've seen 243's shot at 1000 yds
So for me its betwen 2&3?

The answer is 3500-5000m

It is generally concidered that most deer calibre rifles if discharged at around 30 degrees will launch a bullet to a distance of 3500-5000m this is why its most important when loading or unloading which is the most likely time for an accidental dicharge that the rifles muzzle is pointed in a safe direction and not being used in the anti aircraft role. :D

Hi Mereside,

Thanks for that, I read all the questions and found several were ambiguous and thought they were trick questions.

Guy

\guy's,
The question is as follows-
"What is the maximum distance a bullet from a deer rifle might travel if there is no safe backstop"

Followed by the four answers to choose from, so thanks very much for the help, i'm happy to go for 3500-5000m

There is no mention on this question of weather or not the shot is "safe"

3500-5000 is the correct answer to that question their are also lots of different answers to other questions but the one that you need to know is 3500-5000m get the cd from Jelen it showes you all the correct answers before moving onto the next one ;)

3500-5000m. There are lots of other variables which would affect the distance but none of those are asked for in the question. Kiss........keep it simple stupid :)

Hi Guys, for the purposes of the DSC1 course, what distance will a deer legal calibre bullet travel if it doesn't have a safe backstop to catch it?
The potential answers are as follows -
500-1000m
3500-5000m
5500-6000m
10,000m
The first is obviously out as i've seen 243's shot at 1000 yds
So for me its betwen 2&3?

In the Nov 2010 BDS Training Manual this is question 50 in the question bank. The manual gives the (party line?) answer on page 17

This is highly calibre dependent and elevation and angle reliant.

A .308 has a full danger area (or beaten zone) of approx. 5.5km. For .338 and larger you can make that 7.5km - but this is for field planning purposes.

In stalking we look for a reduced danger area (eg we search for a backstop to capture and contain the bullet eg. not roads/water).

The answer is 3500-5000m, but I am unclear as to why it is 3500 to 5000m at all. It could be much less or more depending on many factors. It raises awarenes of potential lethality at distance, but for anyone who hasn't shot at these distances or indeed been 'shot at' it is simply theoretical. Better to enforece a safe backstop principle - I am going on....:old:
A classic example of where multiple-choice "isn't"

Back