Similar User Names

DL

There appears to be a notable increase in the lack of imagination of members picking their user names.

I'll put the original first, and the 'sincerest form of flattery' after.

Deerman - The Deer Man

Flytie - Flytyer

Centralbeltstalker - Centralstalker

Venison17 - Venison16

Rick O Shea - Rick O Shay

Rangefinder - Rangemaster

It's made it quite difficult for me to read posts, and to understand from a glance whether the poster is someone who's posts I've been reading for years, or someone who recently joined and chose a remarkably similar user name.

Would it not be possible to give the members the opportunity to change to something more unique in order to facilitate the smooth running of the board?

There's also been confusion with Logins which have been deleted & chosen again at random by an unsuspecting member. Swede, Caprelous, 6.5x55.... would it not also be possible to withdraw user names that have an association left with them?

Just a question for JAYP,Sikamalk & CSI really! :lol:

It's tricky really, unless they have registered a name purposefully to cause confusion then they haven't done anything wrong. If it does end up causing confusion then I suppose we or the 'original' user could ask them nicely if they wouldn't mind changing. To be honest I had only noticed the centralstalker one.

Having an avatar image definitely helps, I find I recognise users more by that than the name!

Regarding the deleted names... the ones you have listed are before my time. The policy now is that we don't delete established usernames for that very reason. (eg unless it's a spam account and has only posted a few times).

Alex

Last edited:
there appears to be a notable increase in the lack of imagination of members picking their user names.

I'll put the original first, and the 'sincerest form of flattery' after.

Deerman - the deer man

flytie - flytyer

centralbeltstalker - centralstalker

venison17 - venison16

rick o shea - rick o shay

rangefinder - rangemaster

it's made it quite difficult for me to read posts, and to understand from a glance whether the poster is someone who's posts i've been reading for years, or someone who recently joined and chose a remarkably similar user name.

Would it not be possible to give the members the opportunity to change to something more unique in order to facilitate the smooth running of the board?

There's also been confusion with logins which have been deleted & chosen again at random by an unsuspecting member. Swede, caprelous, 6.5x55.... Would it not also be possible to withdraw user names that have an association left with them?

Just a question for jayp,sikamalk & csi really! :lol:
jayp - jayb..................................

I am sure there was quite a few useing my old names but hey who am i .But the new ones comming on after the originals might just be a mistake and a simple pm from admin to recommend a name change should sort it.Unless there is something more sinister in it DL

I've every intention of sticking with my user name as it is my name , or part of it :D but I wouldn't mind changing my avator now and again just to confuse people :stir: but I've forgotten how to do it :doh:

I blamed a post this morning on Ash. It was only luck I noted that it was not his. 243ask instead. As admin on SGA I banned a couple of registration to avoid confusion. One I remember was woodcutter. When wood cutter came alone he was emailed to reregister under another name. We then had lost passwords and multiple registrations by the same person.
Jim

Had a look at finnbear:doh:Joined 2007 and did not come back:eek: Then finnbear270 joined may 2009 post count over 5000 in under two year and I thought I was bad sitting on here:(

I am sure there was quite a few useing my old names but hey who am i .But the new ones comming on after the originals might just be a mistake and a simple pm from admin to recommend a name change should sort it.Unless there is something more sinister in it DL

Just go on another site and copy someone elses:lol:

Nell aka 6pointer

Back