Low loading !

just

Just wondering if you can de-tune/lower the hornet case to produce near .22 LR/17 HMR performance, i normally use Lilgun powder. Was hoping to do some pigeon and squirrel hunting in a woodland ! Thank's..

My shooting is much better than my loading !;) muir, could you please recommend a load for me, preferably with Lilgun ! and what sort of ft/lbs and ft/sec should i expect !? Diolch yn fawr iawn !

There isn't really a small game reduced load with Lil Gun. Look to the ridiculously slow powders like IMR 4831. Try 11 grains with a 40 - 45 grain bullet. Should give subsonic 22LR speeds. I used this load in a #7 Rollingblock rifle that wouldn't take full Hornet pressures.~Muir

PS: You must them find a bullet that will expand at that velocity. I would start with anything with a gaping HP like the Speer TNT 33 grain.

Last edited:
do ballistic tipped (VMAX etc) expand at subsonic speeds?
I have used gaping HP rounds in 22LR but the .17 gaping hollow points I find difficult to get any consistent group with.

do ballistic tipped (VMAX etc) expand at subsonic speeds?
I have used gaping HP rounds in 22LR but the .17 gaping hollow points I find difficult to get any consistent group with.

The commercially available .224" ballistic tips are designed to expand closer to 3000fps. The 22LR bullets are lead, of course, so they will expand no matter what. I have seen some of the 30 grain ballistic tips used by Hornady and CCI in their 22WMR cartridge fail to expand at 2300 fps. I have some 33 grain BTs used by Hornady to load the Remington "Premium" 22WMR but don't think they will work reliably -or at all?- at 1100 fps.

Alternatively, the option would be to substitute a gaping maw or flat point (like found on the bullets made for the 218 Bee) to initiate expansion or, if nothing else, an increased slap-down energy on impact. The TNT's are not the best for accuracy but I think they would be a good starting point.~Muir

PS: The caffeine just kicked in! One would wonder why a person would want a ballistic tip at that speed, and those distances anyhow?? Unless it was for convenience??

Back