What and how many knifes when in the field!

speedystu

I have always taken with me my bright orange knife/sheath that i got from the game fair a few years ago, i use it for all parts of carcus prep. i am now looking at getting a new set! i.e a general use blade and a small blade for more intricate things or skinning.
So the question is do you use one knife for everything or what are your tools?
Purely for field only use!.
thanks ss.

I use one knife in the field its a wooden handled knife i bought in the USA in 1978. Apart from roe all our game, moose ,boar is taken back to the Larder or barn to be gutted. I wear a traditional swedish knife as well but thats only for cutting up korv, cheese and other edibles I wear a Svörd pig sticker when working the dog on boar.

Although i make them for a living,i use, and always have an Opinal no 8,its not the knife its knowing how to use it

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Bernie

I don't 'wear' a knife because I have to drive some distance and whilst its not that comfortable when driving also on the odd occasion stop for fuel etc etc. So I put a buck folder in the same pounch thingy that my magazine and spare ammo goes in. That goes in my pocket when I get there.

In my bag I'll have my fixed blade knives, a buck 5'' Pathfinder , a puma 3'' pro hunter with gut hook and one of those so called throw away sweedish knives pre orange handle.

Depdening on the situation i'll go back to my vehicle for extraction and get my bag. My hand always goes for the Buck Pathfinder. I find it perfect for every job.

If you shoot alot of muntjac on the same trip it pays to have a few to choose from or take a sharpening steel. Munty do tend to take the edge of a knife quicker than other species.

Of course a must is to have a Lanskey at home to maintain them all!!!!

IMHO.

A knife - is a knife - is a knife. Not too deep in the blade so that you can get into the anal canal and such places.
Try to get one of good steel which will hold a good edge - keep it sharp and clean. Many people use stainless these days, but a high carbon blade should cause no problems if it it washed out and lightly oiled on the steel contacts areas - such as in folding knives - then allowed to sit in a warm place if possible - open, to air-off.

I agree with Bernie. An opinel knife will take a quick edge and as it is made from shear steel will cut like a razor. It's easy to maintain, especially if the wood is treated with oil then eased for easy opening in the field. They don't cost a fortune, have a simple ferrule lock, and work well.

Ken.

Best knife I had was 40 years ago, Just a simple blade, curved like an open S. The blade concave rather than convex. Unfortunately I can't fins a replacement. It was used for everything, gutting rabbits to disecting deer. Still have the stab wound scar on my leg where I stabbed myself making snare pins. Great shape for the gralloch. Now I have a buck folder and an american sheeth knife bought from private frazer. Also have a couple of frosts in the gamebag.
Jim

See here - Bladetech

I carry both an FR05 and a CA12. Both take the keenest of edges and can be easily honed in the field if they are dulled. Some would point out that the latter's wooden handle contravenes best practice, but they are lovely pieces of kit and well worth their modest price tag.

A knife - is a knife - is a knife. Not too deep in the blade so that you can get into the anal canal and such places.

Ken.

A very valid point that is; especially when considering smaller species of deer.

Although I have one :rolleyes: a blade with a gut hook is next to useless for much else and I rarley use mine ( although it is a lovely knife, the puma).

Speedy,

Different knives for different jobs and depends a bit on what deer you are culling (as an average) Roe, Muntjac, CWD or 400lbs+ woodland red stags.

I had a similar problem to Richard re large belt knife etc and have recently gone a similar way. I like BUCK knives and have had one since 1977.

Here's my personal recommendations:- UK DEER's Ancillaries Equipment Recommendations and here is a review and field trial test that I've just done for a client:- UK DEER's review of the Buck Alpha Hunter Folding knife

There's also a load of knife info here:- UK DEER's knife information page (All relating to knife style, blade designs and various steels etc that might help you decide what you want).

I also agree with Rich regarding the Lansky sharpeners. I keep a couple at home and a couple in the field grip just for touching up and honing etc. I also use the BUCK diamond taper sharpener for small jobs.

Hope it all helps

Rocky

PS.....Don't forget to vote for IWRCH for the BASC council elections. Use the links on his post and vote online - Simples !

Last edited:
Cant go wrong with a frost mora at around £12, but make sure you get the stainless one, they are razor sharp from new and are incredible value, you can get them on the BDS website from their shop

Tikkat3

Yep frost knifes have a good blade and their cheap enough to buy a load and leave one every where you need one in case you forgot yours :cool:

Cant go wrong with a frost mora at around £12, but make sure you get the stainless one, they are razor sharp from new and are incredible value, you can get them on the BDS website from their shop

Tikkat3

Why Stainless ? the carbon one hold as good an edge and is easier to sharpen.

Just leave to soak in a glass of vinegar overnight, it will Force a "PATINA" on the

blade, which will turn black. Rust problem solved.

Rgds, Buck.

Why Stainless ? the carbon one hold as good an edge and is easier to sharpen.

Just leave to soak in a glass of vinegar overnight, it will Force a "PATINA" on the

blade, which will turn black. Rust problem solved.

Rgds, Buck.

I agree, the worst thing that happened to knives was the move to stainless, they maybe hold the original edge for a little longer but are much harder to put an edge back on, a couple of strokes with a good steel on a carbon blade and it's as good as ever.

As a bit of a collecter of knives, I have to many to pick from, but a carbon is your best to start of with, as ease of sharpining, as for a skinning knife, the thought makes me cringe thats what you hands are for.

Back