Tikka T3 Varmint in 204 for fox?

Alaska_Seth

Anyone shooting a Tikka T3 Varmint in 204 for fox? How do you like it. I just bought my first Tikka T3 in 30-06 (a Stainless varmint), and plan on getting a matching little brother in 204, and maybe 6.5x55.

Also I want to use a good mount, but don't have a lot of choices. Would prefer not to go to 1913 rail and would like to use the Sako/Tikka 30mm type rings.

Does anyone know if the Sako 3 ring TRG Mount will work on the Tikka T3?

Spuhr in Finland also makes a mount, but I like how the Sako mount doesn't mar the scope.

I have a Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless in 6.5x55, it just seems to shoot everything accurately from 85 grain to 156 grain :D

For mounts I bought a stainless weaver/picatinny rail and some Burris Signature Zee rings. The rings are great and you can purchase different inserts for them to minimise the clicks when centering the rifle, they also don't mark the scope.

You could buy the super varmint as it comes with a rail and then buy the burris rings that Jonher suggested.
I have the burris rings and they are great. Im not sure if the trg mount will fit but I think its way over priced for what it is.
A rail and burris rings will also allow you to place your scope further back or forward if needed to get good eye relief

My problem with Tikka is this.

I like the trigger, the barrel, the receiver, and the magazine. I like the scope rail very much!

I don't like the floor plate thing (bottom metal to Americans), the bolt handle, or the stock.

I already have $1500 Aussie in this rifle, and I think I am going to buy a laminate blank from America and cut a stock out of it. Now a couple folks are making aluminum floor plates for it, and I think that is probably worth it in the long run. I am going to shoot F-Class with it and hunt with it.

The floor plate is $200, plus $150 per AI magazine if I go that route. Machining the bolt handle to accept a big rubber ball will cost $80, and I figure I will have another $100 in the stock blank, pad, studs, and shipping.

Or I could buy a stock from someone like Manners, Wild Dog, McMillan, or Roberson Composites and spend $1000.

Machining the bolt handle to accept a big rubber ball will cost $80.

Why machine the bolt handle to accept a rubber ball when you can just purchase one of the slip-on type, thats what I did with mine, cost about £10 and works great!

x1801200825919.jpg
x1801200818204.jpg

Last edited:
I got mine from Jagare who lives in Sweden, but I'm sure somebody here on SD can point you in the direction of a supplier in the UK.

edit: just seen your in Oz, but I can post one over for you if you can't find one.

Last edited:
I thought the super varmint came with the round plastic bolt knob.
If you are going to buy a stock and bottom metal you would be better off buying a sako varmint laminated stainless instead.

I have just bought a T3 Super Varmint in .204. Not had chance to put a bullet through it yet as I am waiting for thread adapter for my predator 8. I had a Brno Zkk 601 re barreled in 204. It's an awsome round, very accurate and devastating on foxes out to 400 yrds plus.

Palo,

Your probably right, but I like the heavy barrel of the Tikka T3 Varmint in 30-06. Sako doesn't make a similar rifle.

My next Tikka will be a 204 Varmint, and probably another in the Battue in 8x57 or 9.3x62.

Back