Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Sika Recipe

Favourite Sika Recipe

Ok Guy's,
    Shot my first Sika today, seems everbody has a favourite species eating wise along with a favourite recipe , i'd welcome any suggestions as to the best way to cook a Sika haunch?
    Nothing too spicey though, i prefer slow cooked and traditional please ?

Tikkat3Attachment 5507

Well done on the first sika, if they are shot anyway near hard they can be very difficult indeed to get.

Looking at the photo the head is very short and the face makes it look almost like a calf and yet the antlers don't fit that bill. Do you know anything about it in terms of age and so on?

Sorry to derail your thread but I stalk some sika and so am always interested.

No problem,
    It was a two year old cull animal, the reason it was taken so i'm told, was because although it was in reasonable shape body wise, it's antlers had not and would not make much and as you say it's head was short compared to other beasts in the heard, having said the above, i was gretful for the opertunity to take my first one!
    come on then, be the first to make a suggestion!

Thanks for the info, it is certainly a strange looking animal as it really does look like a calf but is clearly older.

I get my butcher to roll my venison into roasts and roast them in the oven. Not very exciting I know and not quite an answer for your question but it is as near as I can come to providing an answer.

this is a manchurian sika stag ( second head )
    well done tony

Cheers Andy, how did you know i'd put this thread up?
    Couldn't of done it without your patience and generosity mate all credit where it's due, i only pulled the trigger
    Thanks again

Had a good day then Tony. I was working in Oxted today and wondered how your day was going as I passed through Seal this afternoon.

• 1 venison haunch
    • 150ml extra virgin olive oil
    • 3 large cloves garlic, cut into slivers
    • 3 tbsp roughly chopped oregano or rosemary
    • Juice of 1 large lemon
    • Salt and freshly ground pepper

1. Preheat the oven to its highest setting.
    2. Heat 50ml of the oil in a large, heavy frying pan over a medium heat. Add the venison and brown on all sides. Remove from the pan and drain on several layers of kitchen paper.
    3. Cut 3 pieces of baking parchment, each about 1 metre long. Place one on top of the other, fold all in half widthways and crease down the centre, then open up. Lay the paper in a roasting tray, with one half on the base of the tray and the other half hanging over the edge.
    4. Place the venison on to the paper. Poke holes in the venison with the tip of a sharp knife and push in the garlic slivers, sprinkle the herbs, the lemon juice and the remaining olive oil over it and season. Bring the second half of the paper over the meat and fold over the edges to seal the venison inside.
    5. Roast for 20 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 180C, gas mark 4 and roast for a further 40 minutes per kilo of meat. Remove from the oven and let the meat rest for 30 minutes. Cut the parcel open, carve the venison and serve with its juices, and roast potatoes.

There you go
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Cheers Milly, nice to know i was in someones thoughts!
    And thanks Limulus, think i'll give that one a try.
    Ive got a spare bottle of decent port in the cupboard, anyone know a recipe that would include it in the cooking? and i dont mean doing a keith floyd!

Using the recipe above add the juices from the venison to the juices from any roasties you make and then add a good sploosh of the port. Boil it for 10 mins but dont let the bottom of the tray/pan burn then allow it to cool for 3-4 mins and add a small bar of dark chocolate to the reduced juices. Mix until the choc has melted then pour over the sliced venison.......delish
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks