Shooting of sticks

Legs shoulder width apart, trigger hand in usual position, other hand holding sticks and rifle fore end solid, lock this arm straight out and make sure rifle is nicely tucked into your shoulder. This is standing up obviously. Spend plenty of time on the range practising, not just off the bipod punching holes in paper, haha!

Tom

There was a thread on shooting off sticks on here a while ago. It can be hard to get the chance to practise off sticks specially if you don't have your own land and so are shooting in a club setting. However, as John has said, practise seems to be the key. The reason i say this is because I'm pretty much a novice at this as well and am starting to work on my shooting off sticks.

One tip that was posted on here was to tie some rope/string/cord a bit longer than the length of your sticks around where the sticks meet and put knots a few inches apart in the other end of the string. You can then stand on this string when you come to shoot and push the sticks away from you putting tension on the string and making the whole thing more stable. Sounds mad until you try it but works amazingly well.

Recently I found that my vertical groups were not to bad but the horizontal was awful. I went and thought about this for a while and decided that maybe if I stood with my legs spread in the left - right axis it might help. This I did and there was a marked improvement. So, as John has said, technique is important and sometimes you just have to think about things and figure out what works for you.

There was a thread on shooting off sticks on here a while ago. It can be hard to get the chance to practise off sticks specially if you don't have your own land and so are shooting in a club setting. However, as John has said, practise seems to be the key. The reason i say this is because I'm pretty much a novice at this as well and am starting to work on my shooting off sticks.
A rifle is a rifle. Not many gardens where you couldn't 'plink' with an air rifle. The technique is the same. You could even play inside the house with your UNLOADED rifle. The skills are very transferable.

A rifle is a rifle. Not many gardens where you couldn't 'plink' with an air rifle. The technique is the same. You could even play inside the house with your UNLOADED rifle. The skills are very transferable.

+1 I practice with an air rifle. It has improved my tecnique no end. How many of us can go out and shoot 10's of practice full bore rounds off sticks or would want to even if we could. I just go in the garden and fire off a 20 pellets off sticks once in a while.
It seems it helps if the sticks are as far forward as possible because any movement at your end has less effect so stretch your arm out lock for end into sticks with fingers and pull into shoulder.

Another thing i've found helpful is to cut that stupid bit of ribbon from accross the top of some sticks and rest the rifle in the V.

:thumb:..

Definately a great deal of practice required with sticks..

Ive learnt loads off going out and watching diferent folk..

Resting your elbows using the muscle just behind your knee cap in the sitting position adds no end to stability..

In the standing position stand tall and push your tummy out in an effort to lock your spine..

Eddie was the first to show me the rope round the top of the sticks at Broadlands

I know it sounds a bit daft but try a slightly wider stance and turn your feet inwards slightly. A very good gallery rifle shot told me that one, it seems to lock the waist at the hips a bit more and controls the side-side movement.

Also, when you're out in the field look for ways to improve matters, a shoulder against a tree and the sticks in front and you are rock solid or if you know you can make it to a fence then adjust the sticks to the height of the fence before you get there, then once you're there you can use a fence post to brace against with the sticks in front.

Shooting of sticks needs practice but i have found that if you position your sticks so your body is stright and not leaning forward or back you will have a good balance. I also do not dwell on the target but instead move of and through target and release the round as you achieve the correct point of aim.

Keep at it and remember practice makes for better results over time.

Dalkur

Also seen a lot of people spread sticks too wide or sticks are too short for them and they are bending over them.
A bit gay like:rolleyes:

Can anyone give me any advice on how to shoot of sticks ? Can't seem to hold it steady ! Am I doing anything wrong

Dry firing practice is a good way to get familiar with deployment and stance that suits you and your set up. You can do this at Home and there is no ammunition cost...... This is how I practiced ( a lot) before the "Advanced Shooting Test" , and it paid off on the day. I now use tripod sticks all the time.

Good Luck

Peter

I'm moving away from using quad sticks, very steady but unless you are in line with the target they can be pushed against the stock sufficient to upset a floating barrel and send the shot off target.
Standard sticks for me now and lots of practice

Shooting of sticks needs practice but i have found that if you position your sticks so your body is stright and not leaning forward or back you will have a good balance. I also do not dwell on the target but instead move of and through target and release the round as you achieve the correct point of aim.

Keep at it and remember practice makes for better results over time.

Dalkur
I agree. Keep your back straight!

Put the back of your left hand in the V of the sticks and hold the forend with your palm. This allows you to tweak your final aim.

Back