Putting together my first centrefire cleaning kit. Help Please!

tom_0787

Hi guys

I have just bought my first centrefire. A remington 700 ADL in 22-250.

I need to put a cleaning kit together and when i first bought my shotgun I wasted a load of money on cheap rubbish in terms of cleaning gear and I dont want to do that again!

I will need-

Boreguide
Rod
Jag
Brush
Solvents

Has anyone got any reccomdations before I part with my hard earned?

I suggest you give reloading solutions a call as they have everything you will need and at a good price:)

I bought dewey rods for my guns,they are a bit pricey but will last a long time.

I think solvents are very much a personal choice as different people prefer different ways of cleaning. I've been using Butches Boreshine for what it is worth.

In terms of rods I bought a Tipton carbon fibre rod and have been very pleased with it. I guess the only drawback is it is one piece so not easy to travel with but I never have any concerns about it doing damage. It also says it will take "moderate" hammer blows for removing something stuck in the bore not that I've ever needed it. Think I got it from midwayuk but there will be better (less expensive) sources. I would certainly recommend it.

http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?SaleItemID=164517

If you go that route than you will need male ends on your brushes and jags. I think this is a UK/US thing though most stuff now seems to conform to the US pattern.

Boreguide - I purchased a generic type which works well in my 700 & pro-hunter
Rod - A good solid one peice rod, Park Hale rods are fine but you will need adaptors for all the newer type brushes.
Jag - Parker Hale type is as good as any.
Brush - 1 x bronze 1 x nylon (pro-shot), 2 x mops one for solvent & one for oil.
Solvents - KG -1 is the best!! Break free CPL oil with a touch of ZX1 micro oil and a good carbon cleaner ( I use the one from the KG range).

If you don't want to fork out for KG -1 then Roblasolo Mil is a fine copper solvent but remember, not all solvents remove copper and most copper solvents do not remove carbon.

don't buy a boreguide, take a used 20gauge cartridge and knock the primer out, then stick it bendy end into the back of the action:gheyfight:...and the rod should go through the primer pocket/flash hole fine..no point in spending the monies on fancy stuff for that purpose...just my 2 cents.

A 1 piece metal rod with spinning handle, bronze brush, jag, patches, copper solvent, oily rag and some light oil.

The simpler the better.

Forget the brush - just get some wipe-out liquid (patch-out) and don't look back...
image005.gif

Don't forget that the chamber needs cleaning as well as the barrel. I bought a Hornady kit which has all sorts of bits in it but I have since had advice (from a South African former bench-rest shooter and gun shop owner who has written papers and books on the subject) that the best way to clean a chamber is to use an over size mop, soaked in Zippo lighter fuel, on a pistol rod. After swabbing out with the mop give the chamber a final rinse with methylated spirit. Methylated spirit is also good for a final swabbing out after barrel cleaning to get rid of any oil residue.

Phil

Just make sure you get spear tipped jags, after 30 years struggling to wrap and hold 4x2 and other material around parker hale jag they are a revelation :D

However if you want to suffer I have some Parher Hale jags for sale :D

Now using Dewey or Tipton rods having kinked Pro-shot and PH rods in the past, some sort of bore guide, Dewey spearpoint jags, 1 & 1/8" patches for the 250 or 243.
I generally pull a bore-snake through to get most of the loose crud out or if it's been damp, followed occasionally by KG1 Carbon Remover and I'm now using Forrest Bore Foam (after years of Benchrest, brass brushes and scrubbing the bore) and a can goes a long way if you squirt in in slowly and let it expand to fill the bore - practice makes perfect here.

Pretty impressed by the Forrest and it's very economical on patches, especially if you use a nylon brush to stir it up after a while to let the air get in there - one patch to push the remaining wet stuff out followed by only one or two patches and it's done. Old PH pistol rod with a large patch wrapped round an old wire brush for the chamber.

Buy the rods over here but have a look at bulk buying brushes and jags etc direct from Dewey's website in the US - always quick and helpful.

That's me.......all the best

FBW

Back