Thread: Roe having it

Roe having it

The middle of July signals the first signs of the roe rut in England. The crops of wheat and barley still stand tall, making the stalking hard, but exciting.

A lot of glassing precedes any venture on foot. Any vantage point; high seat, grain silo or high seat, is put to full use. Before you hunt you target, have to find it!

At this time of year we have one big advantage.

Being able to call deer in.

This we do with the Butillo call. This little rubber ball can transform the improbable into the possible.

This morning we were lucky.

My stalking partner, Phil and I; covered much ground. From our crows nest, on top of a silo on the farm, we can see more than a mile of ground. Plenty of does and fawns spotted .But no bucks. But where there are does, there has to be buck this time of year.

We parked up at the side of a newly ploughed in field, surrounded by tall fields. This has to be a good spotting zone.

We called for ten minutes, but with no result. Moving further up the field, some 100 meters, still produced nothing. After anther 10 minutes, we decide to move back.
    As we chat, I spot a buck standing on the headland in front of us.

He has obviously heard the call, as he does not want to give ground. All the time in the world to take a 40 meters, shoulder shot, to bring him down.

One in the bag. Let’s see how well we get on.

We move on to a large patch of slopping down hill wheat, with a high seat at the top of the vantage point. Phil’s busy on the phone doing business, so I get in the high seat pronto. Scanning the field, for the ‘Y’ shaped faces of the does above the corn, showed nothing.

Phil scrambled into the high seat to join me, and started to call.

As I scanned across the field, I saw a blur pass through the bin’s . It was a doe, hotly pursues
    by a buck. As they dipped in and out of the ditch at the far end of the field, I followed with the scope. The doe showed no interest to the call, but the buck stopped and appeared curious.

I asked Phil to up the pace on the call . This did enough to stop the in the open . He stood sniffing the air , but with the doe directly behind him. No shot.

“Keeping then call going”,I whispered to Phil. This just froze him long enough for the doe to pass out of shot. long enough to take a slight quartering shot.

The buck followed the doe into the ditch. Long enough for me to rack the bolt and ready myself again.

I was not necessary. He came back out again, looking not the best from his recent encounter- pirouetted- and fell .

Too hot now to carry on, so down to the game dealer

Good read that mate. Enjoyed it. Welcome to the directory!!

Well done, photographs always bring a story to life and turn a good read into a cracking one.

Thanks for posting, I agree, the pictures really brought it to life!