Thread: Parker-Hale reloads

Parker-Hale reloads

As you may know I have been playing about with loads for my Parker-Hale M.81 Classic in .308. The target below was shot this morning at the Greensleeves 100yd range, just resting on a bag as I forgot both the bi-pod and caldwell bag The moral of the story is not to let the wife harrass you as you are packing the car to go shooting!

Now while this group is nothing to write home about, it was shot with less than ideal support, and I will do better next time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parker-Hale 1.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	5543

As you can see I pulled one shot which is up on the centerline, I am not displeased with the other four. If I take either the bi-pod or proper rest next time I should do better.

I tried 5 rounds at different comparator lengths, 2.290", 2.280", 2.270, and 2,260". The 2.290" was by far the tightest group. So I will load up more at this length but with different powder weights and see if I can tighten the grouping up.

I was using 155gn A-Max bullets, PPU brass, CCI LR primers and 46gn of RL-15.

The shot at the bottom was a fouling shot with 165gn PPU SP's.

Last edited by flytie; 20-03-2011 at 12:54. Reason: Altzy
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Good work Simon

Those 155grn A-max's get great reviews from the PH boys, I'm yet to try them in mine

I'm using 150grn Sierra Gameking SPBT and can return a 1/2 - 3/4 group with them through my 1200 with 45grn of Varget.

Thanks Gary, a friend is putting together an order for his stockist and I have some Varget on order with him, so I do aim to try some. Although the Reloader-15 is a good powder, Varget seems to be more popular with my friends.

I bought the A-Max so I could try various recipies without it costing a fortune, they are easy to buy through the post too.

If I can get anywhere near your grouping with my Classic I will be chuffed, anything under 1" will please me. If I can't then it will have a Lothar Walthar barrel fitted in either .308 or 7mm-08.

Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.