NOBEL no1 and no 0 powder info required please.

sinbad

Just been given some new unopened tins of ICI nobel no1 and no 0 powders along with some hodgdon H414 and Vihtavuori N140, Has anybody out there got any reloading data for the nobel powders please.:confused:

I use a browning x bolt in .223rem that likes 55gr federal powershocks and have just got a ruger no1v in 6mm rem that I have not had time to try yet ( been told that it likes 85gr noslers). I am just getting started into reloading so am open to any hints and tips that you have. Also waiting for a 6mm die to arrive,

I have been searching the www for info and had a look on reloaders nest the nobel 1 and 0 are listed as slow burning but no other info , If you can find the manual would be grateful if you could get back to me.
Cheers.

Is that Rifle No 1 and No 0 or Revolver (hopefully Rifle!)? Are you sure you want to use the powder? Even if the tins are unopened, I don't think it's been made for years (although I stand to be corrected)?

Just a thought.

Andrew

Sinbad I've just had a look at my old Nobel guide. Only loads using Rifle number 2 and Rifle number 3 powders are listed for .223rem, and 6mm Rem is not listed at all.

I used to use Rifle0 and Rifle1 for my .270 and .308 loads with good results. Pretty certain the Nobel powders you have aren't suitable for .223rem.

Now then Nobel in my book only list Rifle 2 powder and Rifle 3 for 223 calibre along with revolver 1 so it must be a more updated manual you req.

Stu you probably have the same guide as me, can't find a date on it. Revolver 1 is for cast bullet loads only in .223rem ?

Correct.

What baffles me this powder is extinct even if he had an unopened Tin as it was sold in tins it will be ferked it would be only fit for fertilizer on his tomatoes the cellulouse discs would have gone wrotten:lol:

Last edited:
I should have said the powders were given to me as a job lot from a friend who only uses factory ammo now due to time restrictions ( and an old CZ .243 that shoots very well with them).
If they are not suitable for either the .223 or the 6mm and As I did not pay any thing for them, any body out there who can make use of them and lives close enough would be welcome to them, ( a donation to a charity maybe!)

Hi M Stu.
I must admit I had never heard of it! but the tins look brand new and look like they have been stored properly (no rust or staining) Me thinks I would be better disposing of them in a safe manner if they are as old as you think then.
Thanks Sinbad

I used some of my ammo the other day that had been loaded with Rifle No 1 and sat in my cupboard for a few years and it was spot on.
I still have a tin in my cupboard somewhere but can't think which number it is.
I would certainly not be concerned about using it as the tins had not only a cardboard seal in the lid but also a soft metal seal in the cap of the tin so it should be OK.
I don't have my loaders manual to hand at the moment but I'll look it out tomorrow.
I think it was no longer available from about the middle to late eighties.

If the tins have been stored correctly there shouldn't be a problem with the powder. They may be old but they are probably still good. Take the lids off and give them a sniff.

Correct.

What baffles me this powder is extinct even if he had an unopened Tin as it was sold in tins it will be ferked it would be only fit for fertilizer on his tomatoes the cellulouse discs would have gone wrotten:lol:

Oh what tosh.

I am currently using some Hodgdons H4381 which has "Made in Scotland" on the cardboard side of the tube and it shoots just fine thanks. Guess what is wa smade by Nobel Scotland who of course were shut down in the grand scheme of sell offs.

Back to the question Rifle #1 & #0 is listed for the .244 Remington (6mm Remington) for bullets weighing 60 grains to 100 grains. For the .223 remington only Rifle #2 & #3 are listed.

Oh yes I believe that some of the Vectan powders are the old Glasgow ones or the same as but with new names.

In their loading leaflet Rifle #1 appears to be the same as TU7000.

Rifle #0 is 4381 :D.

Thanks for that sir, Will open up one of the tins and see what condition its in tomorrow.
regards
Sinbad

I didn't know that 6mm Remington and .224 Remington are one and the same as it's a calibre I've never come across, well done Brithunter for pointing this out. So there is information in the guide on reloading this cartridge with both Rifle 0 and Rifle 1 after all.

80 Grain bullet using Rifle 0 - 42 grains(3140 fps) to 47 grains (3390 fps).
80 Grain bullet using Rifle 1 - 37 grains(3100 fps) to 41 grains (3300 fps).

90 Grain bullet using Rifle 0 - 40 grains(2980 fps) to 44 grains (3180 fps).
90 Grain bullet using Rifle 1 - 36 grains(2930 fps) to 40 grains (3140 fps).

Correct.

You are totally wrong!
I've just used a tin of No.0 in perfect condition.
It'll keep for years.

Back