Lessons learned

LW_Norfolk

Right then chaps, my day went something like this. Had a call from one of my land owners to say that the fallow were putting a lot of pressure on his crops and he wanted me to do something about it. Went up there this morning to find over a 100 head of fallow on one of the fields, got into a superb spot, but there was no safe shot.. Headed back up this evening to find none about, so thought that I would hang around and see what happened. Low and behold out popped a small group of does, followed by a larger group of bucks, with the words of the landowner ringing in my ears, scare them off and make sure that there is a nice buck to put in the freezer. So the cross hairs dropped on a nice buck, squeeze, bang and thwack, drop another one in the chamber as I see him running back into the wood.. Bugger.

Sure that the shot was good so start the follow up proceedings, could not find any blood spatter at the point of impact, just a small amount of hair. Looked straight into the wood and there was my boy on a direct path from where I shot him 120yds from the shot in a straight line, lucky that the woodland is very open so the follow up wasnt too traumatic. The time is now ticking on and it is at this point that I remember that my truck is in the garage getting repaired.... So shouted the farmer to bring his truck up and started the dragout, it is now starting to get a little darker.. 120 yds with a bloody big buck knackered.. Managed to man handle it into the truck.. not easy.

Graloch, everything normal, but as it wasnt a hanging one it took longer than expected, now very dark.. Glad that I remembered to pop the head torch into the roe sack. Time to manhandle into the garage loaner on my own as the farmer had popped out for the evening, this took 30mins.... Now get the beast into the larder, finally stepped back thorugh the door to the house at 21:30, had shot the beast at 18:10...

Now lessons learned..
1.When the wife is cooking you a roast dinner do not shoot a massive buck that takes nearly 3 hrs to sort out.
2. Only shoot when you have all your gear handy including your truck.
3. Only shoot the big ones when you have a buddy handy to give you a hand.

I just hope that he tastes as good as he looked..

hav you ever tried shooting the deer when it is facing/feeding towards the closet point of extraction, most chest shot fallow I shoot will run in the direction they are facing when a telling shot is made, it may result in less dragging in the future

hav you ever tried shooting the deer when it is facing/feeding towards the closet point of extraction, most chest shot fallow I shoot will run in the direction they are facing when a telling shot is made, it may result in less dragging in the future

Yes it was facing in the right direction... However like everything I have seen deer do, it was the complete opposite to what I expected.

well done mate , nice to hear your starting to get fell in !

i had this same situation on sunday afternoon when my land owner called and said there were 60 reds on his rape field , so i drop 1 hind and the buggers all then stood by the road sp no safe shot on a second !:doh:

time from shooting hind to driving off the farm was 1 hr , but i do have al the kit and i was taking my time !

well done allt he same :thumb:

cheers lee

Back