Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A quiet Muzzle Brake

A quiet Muzzle Brake

I use a muzzle brake on my Blaser R93 .300 Win Mag. Recoil is reduced significantly and I generally happy with my groups. the noise it generates is horrendouse and I could never imagine shooting it withour wearing ear defenders.

Does anybody know of a MB design that not only reduces reoil but also doesn`t increase thenoise levels. I`m sure I stumbled across an American company that makes them but a Google search produces very little.

Many thanks

They are called sound moderators.

The principle of a muzzle brake is to discharge the gases behind the bullet as close as possible to the barrel end and in all directions to reduce recoil, so it is loud as a function of its purpose.

As Jack says, if they reduce noise, they are moderators.
    I built myself a compromise once, a small moderator (3") that would reduce recoil, would be able
    to take target shooting without melting and maybe save my hearing if I fire one or two rounds when stalking.
    My 308 rifle was very accurate with it, took the bang away a bit, reduced recoil and only weighed around 260 grams
    in the days when moderators weighed 3 times as much.

Thanks for the replies. I have used moderators in the past and am familiar with the concept. Sadly they are illegal in Switzerland and most of continental Europe. However I saw an American Muzzle Brake design, which looked like a conventional Muzzle Brake but the makers claimed that there was no increase in noise levels.

There will never be an increase in noise levels. You are still burning the same amount of powder.

The noise is re-directed instead, of going down range it goes side ways and a little backwards allowing you to hear more of it.

A quiet muzzle brake? Surely it's an oxymoron, a bit like military intellegence Is it April the first allready?

Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

You could install noise reduction technology in the muzzle brake, adopted from earpiece technology,,,new invention for ya...

I can't find an answer to this via the web either. It's like a search for the Holy Grail.
    The yanks should have the answer if anyone has, but when did they ever worry about noise?

OK, the .300 Win Mag is a pig to shoot. The recoil is awful and the noise dreadful, so many users fit muzzle brakes if moderators aren't an option for them. They're a cheap DIY fit, without licensing problems in the UK.

My understanding is that the muzzle brake reduces recoil by momentarily capturing, and then deflecting the gas forward and aft of the bullet. This pulls the rifle forwards to counteract the recoil, but it also vents the discharge gases and directs the noise towards the user. No matter what model is fitted (you should see the Sako TRG 'stealth' attachments) all this violence is forced upwards or laterally just in front of the end of your nose... rather than downrange. There are more elegant alternatives such as ported barrels like the BESA brakes on Brits' BSA's, but the practical effects are the same.

It's interesting to hear that sound moderators are banned in Switzerland, as in the USA. As I understand it, Switzerland still has conscription/compulsory call-up. Army reservists are allowed to keep their semi-auto rifles at home, and retain them after discharge so this is a much more liberal regime than the UK.

Although I don't use them moderators have several plus points. It's difficult to see any merit in muzzle brakes apart from reduced backslap for the user. Maybe they need an ASBO slapped on them at target ranges, and a more general ban on HSE grounds because they funnel everything noxious towards anyone nearby. The sound signature is piercing at close quarters in a confined space.

If you can't stand recoil.... and have to fit a brake ... I would guess that the only technical solution is to have a secondary chamber enclosing the brake. This needs some sort of internal deflection structure (baffle(s)?) to create a vortex/swirl effect, and to dissipate/deaden/or redirect the blast effects away. Heyho. Guess what. We have the makings of a moderator here, probably banned by Swiss law.

Another idea would be to abandon your pet .300WM, and use a lesser magnum such as a 7mm Rem Mag. Fitted with a long heavy barrel to maximise long-range capability, this would increase the weight to 11lbs. This would have reduced muzzle blast, and reduced recoil (only a bit more than a lightweight .270) with a slight reduction in target energy.

Vais - supposedly no increase in sound heard by the shooter compared to unbraked rifles, but clearly not a moderator.
    Vais Arms Inc.

Indeed.... not a moderator as we know it.

The face of the muzzle section is perforated as well as the circumference which is novel.

It seems to reduce recoil as well as any other brake, but the claimed noise reduction isn't so convincing. Certainly not 'quiet' anyway.