Ackley Improved

N.F.W.M

I am starting to think about re barreling a rifle in .260 Ackley. I am looking for advice on reloading an improved cartridge, i.e fire forming, sizing (full and neck and pros and cons for each) and seating.

Thanks

Sticks

What are you planning on gaining? The 260 runs at 60,000PSI pressures now. How much more can you squeeze out of it??~Muir

Sticks,

I have been down your path, or one pretty close. 6mm06 AI. Learnt a huge amount about reloading, accuracy powders, bullets - the list is endless. Great experience, very happy I did it. Now have a very accurate rifle firing an 80 grain bullet at 3600 fps. Devastating on foxes, great on a windy night compared to most foxing guns. Don't use it on Deer, too fast, writes off the front end.

Would i do it again?

No. Too hard, too little benifit.

Nigel

Thanks for replies. However my question was for advice on fire forming, full and neck sizing and seating an Ackley Improved case, not should I improve a .260 !

Thanks

Sticks

Good point. Seat the bullet into the lands to support the case against the bolt face. Neck size from there after.

I am always curious however, as to why people choose an Ackley chambering and remain so in your case. 60K cartridges are usually not to be improved upon.~Muir

Good point. Seat the bullet into the lands to support the case against the bolt face. Neck size from there after.

I am always curious however, as to why people choose an Ackley chambering and remain so in your case. 60K cartridges are usually not to be improved upon.~Muir

I like a challenge !

As enfield said, if its not a single shot action make sure your action will feed the rounds. My Ruger M77 feeds the .22-250AI ok, but my sako 75 doesnt like more than 2 rounds of 280AI in the mag. As you open the bolt one of the bolt lugs catches the shoulder of the next round in the magazine and jams it. The problem is caused by the change in shoulder angle on the Ackley case.

To fireform I just use cheap bullets seated into the lands and starting load data for the parent cartridge using one of the faster powders in the suitable range. I have read in an old copy of "varmint Hunter" if the Ackley chamber is cut correctly there should be a slight crush fit on the case when closing the bolt. It is then not necessary to seat the bullet into the lands. i haven't tried pistol powders and creamed wheat etc.

For sizing, i use redding full length dies and then partial/ neck size, both the .280AI and .22-250AI will produce 1/2" groups at 100yds with quality componants, which is more than adequate for my needs.

I like a challenge !

Fair enough.:cool: Have fun, but remember that you are running blind without an accurate pressure reading on your cartridges. "Pressure signs" are not always definitive, and more so in straight walled, hi intensity cases. A chronograph is essential.~Muir

Back