Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deers and water

Deers and water

I have been asked this question and cant work out the answer .I think i know but unsure so here it is .
    Why is it unusual to see a deer drink ?

Im thinking it because they get enough from the dew on grass and what they eat

Got it in one mate

I think that might be a specis specific observation, because reds that I am aquainted with drink quite a lot.
    Last edited by howa243; 25-03-2011 at 09:30.

I remember when I when stalking in Oxford and my mates had told me you wont or rarely see deer drink. I was sat in a high seat a a few weeks later when two you Roe doe appeared, walked towards me and made straight for a water trough and both deer started lapping up water. I was so engulfed in watching them and thought myself so privelidged as it was probably only my 2nd or 3rd outing for deer.

Roe Deer are selective feeders in that they target succulents, so very rarely need to seek water but they have been known to on rare occasions.

The two I saw were following each other , the first took some water and the second decided to join in...when it saw the first,both only took a few laps of water then were on their way.

I see Roe talking water on a quarry pond at dayrise every morning i am there.

Are you sure they are not checking their reflection

I have seen roe drinking from water troughs on many occasions over the years, but only roe !

Account Suspended
    North Yorkshire
    Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Are you sure they are not checking their reflection
    Now thats funny