SCHMIDT & BENDER scopes - build quality

old_realtree

Can anyone tell me if there is a big difference in build quality between German made scopes and the Hungarian made scopes.

Many thanks

O_R

Not wanting to hijack your thread but I would be interested to know myself:)

Kindest regards
Garry

None what so ever ! The only difference is price due to wage differentials.

I own both german and hungarian and see little difference in build quality, both being excellent the german(someone will correct me if I am wrong) made being made in germany and the hungarian being made in germany and assembled in hungary hope this helps

as per 8x57 says wage differentials being the major factor.

Last edited:
I have to agree, i have a German 7x50 and a hungarian 8x56, I would defy anyone to tell which one was made where if the makers mark was covered up.

Simon

There are actually some people who say that a Hungarian is a better buy in terms of quality because they are said to be quality checked in the Hungarian factory and then again in Germany before they leave S&B to be sold so twice the quality control. I've no idea if it is true or not.

I gave a Hungarian and I must admit that sometimes when I'm hammering nails into a new highseat or levering the bolt open after firing an especially hot load I do wonder if it is just as robust as the German version but so far, apart from a small scratch on the paint work, it is showing no signs of failure :)

Last edited:
Why do you use the S&B scope to hammer nails into a high seat or use it to lever the bolt open? Surely, this would affect the warranty?:lol:

Why do you use the S&B scope to hammer nails into a high seat or use it to lever the bolt open? Surely, this would affect the warranty?:lol:

It affects the warranty of the high seat and the rifle, but not of the scope. I checked this up. So far I've damaged 4 high seats and 2 rifles doing this but can't be bothered sending the scope back to have the scratch repaired.

have 3 x hungarians 6x42 and two 8x56 klassics cracking good scopes in poor light either end of the day all have 30 mm tubes

Caorach,
If you use left handed METRIC nails (as no doubt the scope has a 30mm tube), it doesn't affect the warrenty, something to do with british imperial nails being harder and sold by the inch? :rofl: that and the fact that it's 1st April next week?
Tikkat3

I was tempted down this route for an 8x56 but was warned that the warranty although the same would result in a much longer turn around time. Probs my mistake but for this reason I went Swarovski. Tempted to look at S&B PM2 5-25 x 56 for my next rifle build. Anyone any experience?

I use the 6x42 hungarian on my .243 and it's the perfect scope IMHO. Picture is clear as day, quality is top, it maintains zero forever, and let's plenty of light in in the evenings..oh, and it's very waterproof up to now.................love it:D

.............but,,,my hill scope is a Zeiss...there's just 'that' tiny bit more clarity and light, and you could leave them at the bottom of the ocean for 100 years, and still they would come out like straight from the factory....I think I have an un-dying trust for a Zeiss's waterproofness, which is just a 'must-have' for the scotttish open hill.

Yes, absolutley fantastic scope, but it's heavy on a rifle your carying all day.

TJ

This is true but I find that having the S&B on the rifle is a lot lighter than carrying a hammer for knocking in nails and a crowbar for opening the bolt after firing hot loads. With the PMII being even bigger than my 8X56 it will be even better at those tasks and so you get three tools for the price, and weight, of one.

This is true but I find that having the S&B on the rifle is a lot lighter than carrying a hammer for knocking in nails and a crowbar for opening the bolt after firing hot loads. With the PMII being even bigger than my 8X56 it will be even better at those tasks and so you get three tools for the price, and weight, of one.

You won't be doing that when you see the price tag on one of them babies,,,unless you're Alan Sugar or similarly disgustingly rich dude!

As said there is no difference in build quality, (just cheaper labour costs).

Another interesting point is that hungary do not assemble the Vari-powered S+B, that said S+B don't do bino's ?

( probably because they don't need to as there name is so highly ranked in the rifle scope side of the business circle)

Rgds, Buck.

Slightly off topic. It's amazing to see how popular S&B is in the UK. In Belgium you hardly see them. Either people buy cheap stuff or Swarovski. I don't say that S&B isn't good, it's just something wich is strange. I don't have exact numbers, but I think Swarovski has about 75/80 % of the market. Zeiss and in a minor way Kahles will have the rest.
I just never have seen a S&B in use on a rifle.

Back