Blaser Rifles

Stuart

I heard an interesting stat this week. What rifle do you think is the biggest selling sporting rifle throughout Europe?

The title of the post gives it away! It's the Blaser R93. I don't have one and nor do any of my friends, but I'd be interested in hearing any feedback from anyone who has. I'm about to get a .243, and was going to get a Sako (everyone is know has a Sako or Tikka) but I would consider looking at the Blaser.

Hi Stuart,

Since you are in the market for a 0.243" rifle have you considered a Sauer Outback. I bought one about a year ago and can't rate it highly enough.

Only possible problem could be the fitting of a moderator as it has a fluted barrel.

Willie

Hi Parastalker,

Interested to hear that you can put a moderator on a fluted barrel, I thought it had to be sealed at the base of the barrel to work properly. What type of moderator is it?

I have only been out stalking once with someone who had a moderator fitted to his rifle. He dropped 2 Roe deer one after the other - the second didn't even move after the first shot. There was a third deer which still stood after the second went down but he elected to to take it as one deer each was enough to carry back to the 4x4. Since then I have been sold on moderators but thought I would have to purchase a new rifle - not an option for me as it took me long enough and a lot of chores to convince the wife I needed this one.

I would be interested to hear from any members experience with various types of moderators fitted to fluted barrel rifles .

Anyother problem I have just thought of - would be the fixed front foresight be an issue?

Willie

PS I own a Sauer Outback 0.243" rifle

I've got a PES T12 moderator fitted to my Tikka T3 .243.

If you have a look at one and take it apart then you'll see why having a fluted barrel isn't important.

Basicaly when you take the moderator appart for cleaning its appart by unscrewing the tube which runs through the middle of the moderator you'll see that you rifle screws into the top of this tube and the barrel is enclosed within it. Really impressed with the PES It's also pulled my group in with 100grn ammo to sub .5 inch at 100m.

Also all you get is is a loudish hiss when it's shot as well so am really impressed with it.

Your going to have to loose your font sight to get a monderator on.

Blaser R93

Hi Stuart
I love Blaser's, i've always had Sako's in the past and you can't go wrong with them but i've now got Blaser's in .223, .243, 6.5x55, .308 and 300wsm there not everyones cup of tea but they are one of the most accurate and very hard wearing rifles i've ever used. The main reason i changed was i had a different rifles with different triggers and swapping to the blaser system i can swap barrels,scopes and stocks but it always feels like the my favorite rifle. The only downside is that they have changed importer and the price has gone up a lot.

Hope this is some use. Wayne

Blazers are a nightmare. Zero wanders all over the show between barrels.

You,d expect the damn things to alter on the vertical between different bullet weights not , spread themselves all around the clock.

Sauer Outbacks suffer from rubbish mount fixings, as they are pinned with soft pins that eventually snap allowing the scope base to shift. The remedial repair requires for the mounts to be re drilled and re pinned an epoxied into place.

Wayne,Known you long time, took you a while but least you now got a proper rifle (Heym) :lol: Was so good to see you buy the Heym and not another plastic pig :p :p :p

r

Nothing wrong with a Blaser, my R93 is a superb rifle with many advantages over your conventional bolt action, including take scope mounts off then replace, scope and rifle still hold zero. Take rifle down into scope and mounts, remove barrel from receiver and reassemble; Rifle still holds zero, in my mind absolute genuis and excellent for transportation. :D

Re: r

Blaser3006 said:
Nothing wrong with a Blaser, my R93 is a superb rifle with many advantages over your conventional bolt action, including take scope mounts off then replace, scope and rifle still hold zero. Take rifle down into scope and mounts, remove barrel from receiver and reassemble; Rifle still holds zero, in my mind absolute genuis and excellent for transportation. :D

Yeah but have you tried switching barrels and then seen where your zero is. I bet you'd be lucky if it was on the same sheet of A3 target paper.

Hi Bradley
I take it when you say that you swap barrels you are changing calibre, unless you have two barrels in the same calibre. If this is the case
then the point of impact will change. Do you also expect a rifle to shoot all diferent bullet weights at the same point of impact????????

Blaser 30-06 as they say on TV it might to a good time to “look away now”. ;)

I always thought that the Blaser action was a complicated engineering solution to a problem that did not exist. There is a lot to be said for KISS (keep it simple stupid.) Well it works for me. :lol:

What are the advantages of this action over a normal turn bolt? Some would say that you can get a second shot off quicker but in real stalking situations how much quicker, :confused: making the first shot count is what we are all about and not spray and pray merchants.

On the rare occasion that I have needed a follow up shot I have had no problem in operating my bolt quick enough to do the deed. Shooting a mature Roe doe and her two doe kids can be achieved with a turn bolt as long as you have a cool head. After having three deer in the grass who wants to shoot any more bearing in mine that you have got extraction to deal with.

While that complicated action might cause not problems with a bit of “soft” deer stalking in the south of England would want to risk it if you were going to Canada, Alaska, pig hunting in Australian out back, Hunting in the New Zealand Alps, or the Africa bush.

Gets some dirt in that action and you are in trouble. Would you choose one for a dangerous game rifle? :eek:

The people that deserve a pat on the back here are the Blaser marketing team for convincing so many people that they have invented a better mouse trap.

I think that buying a Blaser is a bit like a Prada handbag, very nice but something to make a statement with when something a lot cheaper will get the job done equally as well.

Still if the pride of ownership thing gives you a nice warm feeling and you can afford it buy one, in the mean time I will put the £1,000 I saved towards my next trip aboard. But still I am just normal working bloke.

B-B

Hi BB
I think the Blaser action you either love or hate but it is the hardiest and most reliable rifle I have ever owned,(and i've owned many) My .308 is 10yrs old and has been abused very badly on many occassions it is out all weathers 52 weeks of the year, it has never lost zero even when my sling broke and it fell on to a stone track and it has never rusted despite my best efforts. I own some nice rifles of various makes but if I want a tool to do a job crawling through mud and crap I always pickup the Blaser.
Wd

Hi Wayne

Nice to see your Blaser is a working tool and not a Prada handbag. ;)

You got to admit it is a complicated way to build a rifle action, after all most machine guns have less working parts.

Do you think that your Sako’s would/were any less reliable after 10 years use?

If you want to get your Blaser rusty let my brother have it, he is the only bloke I know that has got a Stainless steel rifle going rusty after 3 months use/neglect. :eek:

B-B

Blasers

Hi BB
As I said the Blaser action is not to ever ones taste and as for the Sako's I think they are excellent I have had three and still have one in .375H&H. One thing about the Blaser which I love is how short they are, because of the type of action they are very compact which if you are fitting a moderator is very useful. My .308 was 3'' shorter with a T4 moderator on than 6.5x55 steyr prohunter without anything with the same barrel length and guess what I've swapped the Steyr for another Blaser.
As for your brother I've got a couple of mates like that, woudn't think twice about banging a nail in with a £600 scope. :D

Cheers Wayne

Re: Blasers

WAYNE DAVIES said:
Hi BB
My .308 was 3'' shorter with a T4 moderator on than 6.5x55 steyr prohunter without anything with the same barrel length

Cheers Wayne

Hi Wayne

Is it really 3 inches shorter, it is a fair while since I handled a Blaser but I did not think the action was that much shorter a inch or 2 maybe. I would have to concede that if the action is that short and you coupled it with a 20” barrel it would make a handy “truck” gun in .223 for Foxes. If the action did jam up it would be no big deal in that situation. :lol:

I see your big game rifle is a turn bolt. ;)

B-B

Bambi Basher said:
Hi Wayne

Nice to see your Blaser is a working tool and not a Prada handbag. ;)

You got to admit it is a complicated way to build a rifle action, after all most machine guns have less working parts.

Do you think that your Sako’s would/were any less reliable after 10 years use?

If you want to get your Blaser rusty let my brother have it, he is the only bloke I know that has got a Stainless steel rifle going rusty after 3 months use/neglect. :eek:

B-B

Blasers

Hi BB
Yes there very compact and for a light rifle very little recoil
but I will admit I didn't fancy it in .375 I had one in 300WSM and that was enough recoil without the moderator on while abroad. I actually have a Blaser in .223 I think the barrel is about 21''-22'' can't remember but with a little T4AR moderator its tiny just the job as you say for foxing out of a truck.
WD

WAYNE DAVIES said:
Hi Bradley
I take it when you say that you swap barrels you are changing calibre, unless you have two barrels in the same calibre. If this is the case
then the point of impact will change. Do you also expect a rifle to shoot all diferent bullet weights at the same point of impact????????

Wayne

Duh! Of course I'd be changing calibres, What would the point be of having two barrels of the same size.

No I don't expect the thing to shot different calibre and bullets weights to the same point of impact, But what you would expect is for the impact to alter on the vertical mostly.

Not as it actually does which is to spray the thing all around the clock face depending on which barrel you drop in and the not to be such a wide spread. Like I said try it and see you'll be lucky if the thing shoots close enough to be on the same A3 size paper target. (Thats the same size as a flip chart for those that don't know.)

Hi
I bought a R93 in .308[the prada handbag version, an attache] a year ago and think its a fantastic rifle,apart from it being an absolutely stunning looking rifle,you would have to pay about 10 grand to get similar woodwork on a shotgun its far more accurate than my previous steyer pro hunter.Ive shot red, roe, sika,fallow and muntjac with it in the past year so it is a working rifle. The detachable mounts meaning you can swap scopes or shoot with open sights for driven stuff is another advantage.The only problem ive had is with the safety catch its not the easiest to ease it off gently,i was stalking sika hinds two weekends ago and spotted a hind standing just in trees probably about the same time as she saw me she let me get the rifle onto my sticks but the two attempts at getting the safety off was too much for her, she was only 40 yards away i had already shot two but shouldve had three.Somebody mentioned the Sauer outback with the safety inthe trigger guard is agreat idea

Back