Thread: High seat in woods

High seat in woods

What do you think is best height for a woodland high seat.
    Most of wooded areas I shoot seem to have an understory of annoying hazel and hemlock just at an annoying height I get above them for a year or two by clearing sides of rides any higher and i run into lower branches of proper trees.I have had thoughts of going down to an eye level about 8ft or 9ft up anyone tried this?

anything above ground level works but wind and your movement is more noticable by the deer.
    what about a doe box

I have sat in 'high seats' were the seat was about head level, so not very high at all, in fact in one I had a roe doe come so close she was sniffing the leg of the high seat.

Question will it matter

I think the overall height is not the paramount issue when placing one.
    access to/from it and location are probably more important than the height.
    then i would consider size and shape and finally its actual height.

Having sat in a huge doe box in the middle of a ride and watch 9 reds come up and around it/me without batting an eyelid means you have done the job correctly.
    oh forgot to mention it wasnt me that put it there so well done to you who did.

Account Suspended
    North Yorkshire
    Personally I think timber ones constructed to at least 20ft tall with built in cover, I would not consider the metal prefabricated ones if you leave those in a fixed position they tend to grow a pair of legs and walk off on their own never to be seen again.

the ones i build are either 3mtrs high or in thick forest/wood is 2mtrs this works well 2mtr is high enough to see over the ferns to get a shot and under the branches of the trees ,atb wayne ps doe boxes work well if you dont have thick ground cover