antlers for restoration

keeperstweed

can somebody give me some advice about restoring antlers.
i have been given a family heirloom of some red deer antlers skull mounted.
killed in 1898 exmoor, so quiet old.
they have been hanging on a shed wall for some time, so the colour has faded.
is there anything i could put on, to enhance the antlers, an oil of some discription.
also the skull needs whitening, do i paint, if so what type of paint.
thankyou in advance for any advice given.
mark.

rub the antlers with fine emery paper and then plunge into a container with Condy`s Crystals mixed in,let dry and repeat until the desired colour is achieved,paint the skull with whatever..I wouldnt as I would leave it or bleach it.

CC = potassium permanganate

Don't paint the skulls it looks naf, bleach them but boil them first add a good measure of washing powder, for the antlers
use potassium permanganate you can get it from a good chemists, alternatively you can buy an antler stain think Bushwear sold one at one time, don't know how good it was, but you will get a good result from the potassium permanganate just repeat process till you get desired effect, then polish the tips till white.

having read over this old thread today, it never ceases to amaze me of the knowledge contained within the walls of this forum...we really should be in power as a government you know!

Dish washer tablets make them mint after a good clean off . Let them soak over night etc.

Back